Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are Photos individual images stored

Hi, I'm using iMac mid-2010 and am now not able to upgrade beyond High Sierra 10.13.6.

I would like to copy off to a hard drive all the images in my various Photos libraries.

I have looked in the System Library for the images but all I see are the Photos app icons for each library, I cannot see the thousands of individual .jpg etc files that are stored there as actual files, not to view, but to be able to copy off.

Don't really want to get into exporting, it will take days.

Had the same problem on old Mac migrating from G4 Tower using old version of photo library, had to use third party extraction app to get all images out to import into new library.

Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 3:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 1:01 AM

Thanks guys, good to know there is no other way! Years ago with a Mac you could see everything you wanted and navigate your way through folders and see exactly what you wanted, not so much now. I know progress and system software moves on but loved the old Mac ways :-) Thanks again.

8 replies

Sep 7, 2020 9:38 AM in response to supermac28

As Matti mentioned your best bet is to export the originals out of the libraries

with the following settings:

Each image file will have a corresponding XMP file which will contain any metadata (title, description, keyword, etc.) that you added to that image in Photos. If you import them into another Photos library at some later date the metadata will be added to the library.

Each group of photos will be in a folder with the name and date of the moment they are associated with. That will give you some help in identifying them via the Finder.

Sep 7, 2020 3:32 AM in response to supermac28

The safest way is to export as originals (notice that it does not include any updates to the dates, locations etc you have made to the images). That should not take too long.

Or ctrl-click to drill into the photos library package and search where the original imported (not referenced!) images might be and copy (or move if you don't need that library anymore!) the images out.

Sep 7, 2020 5:58 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Not sure why not! Looked through all folders, have images from 2012 and 2013 but no folders showing images from other years, projects etc. The original library was formed by importing all the images I had extracted from the old photo library from the G4 so not a referenced library. I am sure until at least last year I could access the images, I'm guessing with some upgrade it has changed the library access, unless I'm thinking right back to iPhoto!

Sep 8, 2020 2:35 AM in response to supermac28

, have images from 2012 and 2013 but no folders showing images from other years,

In the library package the originals are in the Masters folder. The subfolders of Masters are labelled by the date of the import session (year > month > day > time), not by the date the photos have been taken. So, if you created the library in 2013, all photos you imported at that time will be in the folder 2013, also the older photos. And the yearly folders may change, if the library is repaired or upgraded. Have you found all your Photo Libraries? Looked on all external volumes you have regularly connected to your Mac?

Sep 8, 2020 11:29 AM in response to léonie

Many thanks léonie, yes I have found them, they definitely weren't showing up when I checked the Masters folder, maybe I hadn't waited long enough for the folders to load! Yes they are there, many many folders and I could copy off these folders to ensure I have the images separate to the library for any default upgrading. I will have to weigh up the time spent unloading the folders or exporting the whole library. Thanks again for the advice.

Where are Photos individual images stored

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.