Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi icon PARTLY greyed out

I have two iMacs running WiFi from a Vodafone network. The two computers are next to each other. On one, I have a full black WiFi icon in the Finder toolbar. On the other, just two feet away, the icon sometimes is partly greyed out. Despite this, it appears to work satisfactorily. I've checked that both computers are connected to the correct Vodafone network - they are. I've tried turning the wiFi off and on again, removing and replacing the icon, restarting Finder and restarting the computer. None of these have solved the problem. Here's what the icon looks like:

It isn't desperate, but any ideas would be welcome.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 4:50 AM

There is nothing to fix. Since the two iMacs aren't in the identical position it's not surprising they indicate slightly different signal strengths. You could always swap their positions. It's nothing to be concerned with.

6 replies

Sep 19, 2020 9:23 AM in response to dialabrain

I found the answer and thought this might help others. Because of the way our computers and router are arranged, it turns out that with the Mac Mini lying flat on the desk, the iMac to its right was blocking the wi fi signal from the router in the adjacent room. When I stood the Mac mini on its side, with a bigger area to pick up the wi fi signal the problem disappeared.

Here's what it looked like before I stood the Mini on its side:

WiFi icon PARTLY greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.