Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina update

I am still using Mojave and just wondering I was thinking of updating my late 2102 iMac to Catalina and was wondering what and if any bugs are in the new update. Before I update which my iMac is running real good and since I am home today if I update to Catalina what problems still persist with it? A;sp how long is the update to do can I do it and walk away or do I need to be around when update is being done? Say I go out for a wile today will the update ask me to do stuff and get stuck in anyway when I am not here.? Also is there a a way to download it and keep it for another time?

Thank you all for your help.

Frank

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 11:58 AM

summerdaledesigns wrote:

I made the mistake of updating to Catalina. It totally messed up my documents and relocated them all to i cloud and I had bought Microsoft word and it would not reload it to my computer but had to purchase new on a yearly basis.....now they are telling me that any third party legacy extensions will not be compatible in the near future...i.e. Malwarebytes...

Those are not reasons to not move to Catalina. The documents were relocated to iCloud because when the settings were being initialized, you were asked about doing that and said yes. If you say no, then it doesn't move anything to iCloud. You can easily undo this choice and have those documents physically back on your computer. MS-Office 2016 and later do run under Catalina, Office 2011 and earlier does not. The message that comes up about Malwarebytes is indicating that it will need an update for compatibility with a future version of the OS. Malwarebytes knows about that and will be providing that update. None these items should be considered showstoppers. I am using Catalina 10.15 on one laptop and older (10.11, 10.12, 10.14) systems on other Macs, along with printer/scanners that are 5 and 10 years old respectively, and to be honest, they pretty much all feel like the same Mac OS. Catalina has some new options and improvements and some more efficient tools for working in the Finder.

A real issue to pay attention to are 64-bit compatibility, since 32-bit software won't run. This can affect some older software including drivers for very old printers and scanner -- there are usually workarounds for those, but something to know about. And if your boot drive is HFS+ and a mechanical drive, performance may suffer significantly when it is converted to APFS during the Catalina upgrade.

The computers we have running Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave work really well and are quite stable. I think Catalina is nice but am not rushing to upgrade all of these computers aside from the one already on it.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2020 11:58 AM in response to summerdaledesigns

summerdaledesigns wrote:

I made the mistake of updating to Catalina. It totally messed up my documents and relocated them all to i cloud and I had bought Microsoft word and it would not reload it to my computer but had to purchase new on a yearly basis.....now they are telling me that any third party legacy extensions will not be compatible in the near future...i.e. Malwarebytes...

Those are not reasons to not move to Catalina. The documents were relocated to iCloud because when the settings were being initialized, you were asked about doing that and said yes. If you say no, then it doesn't move anything to iCloud. You can easily undo this choice and have those documents physically back on your computer. MS-Office 2016 and later do run under Catalina, Office 2011 and earlier does not. The message that comes up about Malwarebytes is indicating that it will need an update for compatibility with a future version of the OS. Malwarebytes knows about that and will be providing that update. None these items should be considered showstoppers. I am using Catalina 10.15 on one laptop and older (10.11, 10.12, 10.14) systems on other Macs, along with printer/scanners that are 5 and 10 years old respectively, and to be honest, they pretty much all feel like the same Mac OS. Catalina has some new options and improvements and some more efficient tools for working in the Finder.

A real issue to pay attention to are 64-bit compatibility, since 32-bit software won't run. This can affect some older software including drivers for very old printers and scanner -- there are usually workarounds for those, but something to know about. And if your boot drive is HFS+ and a mechanical drive, performance may suffer significantly when it is converted to APFS during the Catalina upgrade.

The computers we have running Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave work really well and are quite stable. I think Catalina is nice but am not rushing to upgrade all of these computers aside from the one already on it.

Sep 12, 2020 11:36 AM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

If you have a Time Machine backup, which it appears you do, you can always restore a Mojave system.

Disconnect the backup drive to be sure a subsequent Catalina backup won't overwrite it (it shouldn't).

Or do what I do: Upgrading macOS without fear - Apple Community

Also is there a a way to download it and keep it for another time?

You can do that too. Just quit the installer app when it launches.

The installer app will launch every time you restart your Mac. If you don't want it to do that, drag the installer app to another location (such as Downloads).

Sep 7, 2020 7:18 AM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.