Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac 27” Graphics Card Replacement

Can you upgrade the graphics card in a 2011 iMac 27”? If so, what graphics card would you recommend? I want my mac to handle High Sierra a bit better.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 2:20 PM

No. Not a user replaceable part.

7 replies

Sep 8, 2020 9:34 AM in response to Kyledinosantos

I'll second the suggestion to starting by first upgrading the RAM if you haven't yet and next replacing the HDD with an SSD. That will do more to improve High Sierra performance than a new GPU.

A GPU upgrade is possible but not recommended (and would depend on which GPU you currently have... the 6970M shipped with a beefier heatsink than with the 6770M).

Physically the the 2011 iMacs used MXM laptop-style GPU cards that can be replaced, but the processes is very difficult, very complex, and very much not supported by Apple.

• You need service technician level skill (The GPU is not considered a user-replaceable part: logic board removal is required)
  • You need a custom amateur/community written vbios (Apple has never made/blessed any upgrade and cards intended for windows laptop have an incompatible vbios)
  • You need to be able to flash a GPU with said vbios. (Extra hardware/skill required).

Sep 8, 2020 5:46 AM in response to Kyledinosantos

it's some custom PCB so you can't just get any new graphics card so it's to replace a fried one or get the slightly better one that was optional in the user config choices when you purchased it.

that being said video cards does not really make most computer operations faster, they're main speed inc is 3d and the second best are some filters for video edit.

if your computer is slow it's likely not enough system memory or the IO speed being subpar (old magnetic harddisk vs. ssd)

if you only have 4GB system memory then upgrading it would speed it up a good deal

2011 iMac 27” Graphics Card Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.