Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete an old Mac OS X Update Installation .app - it won't go away!

I have an old install mac OS.app downloaded via the App Store on my OS X and it is very unusual. I deleted it manually, but cannot EMPTY the Recycle Bin.

Any attempt to empty the bin fails because it says that the file is in use (which it isn't).

I've tried EVERYTHING; right-clicking it and clicking Delete Forever and I get this:

Naturally, next I tried doing what the dialog suggested, making sure that the permissions were all ok. Still, NADA.

I've tried rebooting into SAFE MODE, no luck. I've tried renaming it, even trying to use third party tools to wipe it. I can't seem to clear this file, and it is eating up 7.74GB of space on my brand new iMac.

HELP somebody!!

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 6:54 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 8, 2020 5:40 PM in response to PRP_53

P. Phillips wrote:

You may have found the source of the problem. CleanMyMac may have corrupted some of the system files. It is strongly suggest deleting CleanMyMac via the Developers instruction. Then attempt to delete the offending file in Trash

That cannot be,... I didn't have CleanMyMac installed at all for the past 2 weeks. It's been happening for almost a month. I only installed it yesterday with no progress in resolving the issue.

Cannot delete an old Mac OS X Update Installation .app - it won't go away!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.