Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp failed, can't 'un-partition'

Hi all,

I am trying to install Windows 10 with Boot Camp on my iMac (see specs below), but so far I am only getting in trouble...

This is what I did:

And this is what happened:

• First attempt failed (I think it said something like 'couldn't install utility'), Boot Camp removed the partition back to normal
  • Same for the second attempt, but now Boot Camp couldn't remove the Windows partition. It instructed to restore in Disk Utility, probably as explained here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209351.
  • In Disk Utility, I didn't see any partitions named BOOTCAMP or OSXRESERVED. I did see 'free space', but could not remove this.
  • The second time I looked in Disk Utility, I didn't see this free space anymore; only my HD reduced from 1 TB to 700 GB...

This is the current diskutil list:

Questions:

1. What can I do to remove the 'invisible and unused partition', so that I can use the full 1 TB capacity of my HD again?
  2. If I would have the courage to try to install Windows again, what could I try to make it more successful?

I have seen posts with similar issues, bus apparently I lack the skill to translate this to a solution for my problem, so I would greatly appreciate any help...

Kind regards,

Jeroen

iMac 27″ 5K, 10.13

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 3:27 AM

azwep wrote:

Yes! This allowed me to restore full disk capacity in BCA. Thanks a lot for all this sorcery!

Excellent!

Now the ultimate question: shall I dare trying to install Windows again?

Yes.

Did I do something wrong in the first place;

Perhaps not.

is there something I can try to increase the chance to succeed?

Yes. Disconnect all external peripherals, run a SMC and NVRAM Reset. Use only Keyboard/Mouse and try to install Windows.

Would installation on an external SSD be a better idea?

No. This road is fraught many a pothole.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2020 3:27 AM in response to azwep

azwep wrote:

Yes! This allowed me to restore full disk capacity in BCA. Thanks a lot for all this sorcery!

Excellent!

Now the ultimate question: shall I dare trying to install Windows again?

Yes.

Did I do something wrong in the first place;

Perhaps not.

is there something I can try to increase the chance to succeed?

Yes. Disconnect all external peripherals, run a SMC and NVRAM Reset. Use only Keyboard/Mouse and try to install Windows.

Would installation on an external SSD be a better idea?

No. This road is fraught many a pothole.

Sep 9, 2020 2:29 PM in response to Loner T

The output of the 3 command lines:

1. Unmount of all volumes on disk0 was succesful (I had to use the command diskutil unmountDisk disk0 though)
  2. gpt: illegal option -- i usage: gpt [-frv] [-p nparts] command [options] device ...
  3. Finished partition map repair on disk0

In BCA I see no Remove/Restore option. Reduced disk size is unchanged.

Sep 10, 2020 12:17 AM in response to Loner T

Now the ultimate question: shall I dare trying to install Windows again? Did I do something wrong in the first place; is there something I can try to increase the chance to succeed? Would installation on an external SSD be a better idea?

Boot Camp failed, can't 'un-partition'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.