Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on icloud and my phone

If I delete photos on my phone, will they remain on icloud? I increased my icloud to 50GB and my phone is only 16GB (i have 2.5 to 3 GB left). Can I store the photos for a longer time on icloud? I'm concerned that if I plug my phone into my computer, I'm going to screw my pictures up. Thanks, Robin

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 5:13 PM

No, iCloud mirrors what is on your phone. If you delete a photo from your phone it will also delete it from iCloud. If you try to delete a photo you will get a warning message:

To save your photos you need to install a photo archiving service on your phone like Google Photos or Dropbox.

You can also transfer them to your computer, either using a USB cable or by logging in to https://icloud.com and clicking on Photos, then download them.

You can save some space by enabled Optimize Photos on your phone. This will save lower resolution (and thus smaller) photos on your phone, but still keep the full resolution in iCloud.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2020 5:13 PM in response to robinfrommurfreesboro

No, iCloud mirrors what is on your phone. If you delete a photo from your phone it will also delete it from iCloud. If you try to delete a photo you will get a warning message:

To save your photos you need to install a photo archiving service on your phone like Google Photos or Dropbox.

You can also transfer them to your computer, either using a USB cable or by logging in to https://icloud.com and clicking on Photos, then download them.

You can save some space by enabled Optimize Photos on your phone. This will save lower resolution (and thus smaller) photos on your phone, but still keep the full resolution in iCloud.

Photos on icloud and my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.