Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best OS for MacBook Pro 2015

Currently my MacBook Pro is running on El Capitan. What would be the best OS to upgrade it to? Some have suggested Catalina and others Mojave. So, I am confused.

I don't want to lose the speed and ease of operating which I currently have.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 4:45 AM

roshanara129 Said:

"Best OS for MacBook Pro 2015 Currently my MacBook Pro is running on El Capitan. What would be the best OS to upgrade it to? Some have suggested Catalina and others Mojave. So, I am confused. I don't want to lose the speed and ease of operating which I currently have."

-------

Use Mojave:

Reason Being: Some of your apps may not work with macOS Catalina, if they are not 64-bit. So, stick with Mojave for now. If and when you upgrade to Catalina, and something does not run in the new install, request from the developers new keys for the software. Inform them that your Mac has crashed, and that they give you the installation files you need (Ask for 64-bit installers).

So...

Perform this: Update to High Sierra First

To do so, you have to first backup your Mac, then erase the hard drive, then install High Sierra. Once Installed, perform the upgrade to Mojave.

5 Steps:

1. First: create a Time Machine Backup (TMB) of your current Mac.
  2. Erase: your Disk
  3. Install: High Sierra
  4. Upgrade: to Mojave
  5. Migrate: Items over using Migration Assistant

5 Steps In Depth:

1. Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the transfer.

2. Erase your Disk

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode
  2. Go to: Disk Utility
  3. Erase: the hard drive

3. Install High Sierra:

Create and use a High Sierra USB Bootable Installer. Use a USB Flash Drive of 16GB to create it.

4. Upgrade to Catalina:

Go Here: How to Upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

5. Migrate and Reinstall Data and Apps:

Next migrate it over from the Time Machine Backup you created in Step 1.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 4:45 AM in response to roshanara129

roshanara129 Said:

"Best OS for MacBook Pro 2015 Currently my MacBook Pro is running on El Capitan. What would be the best OS to upgrade it to? Some have suggested Catalina and others Mojave. So, I am confused. I don't want to lose the speed and ease of operating which I currently have."

-------

Use Mojave:

Reason Being: Some of your apps may not work with macOS Catalina, if they are not 64-bit. So, stick with Mojave for now. If and when you upgrade to Catalina, and something does not run in the new install, request from the developers new keys for the software. Inform them that your Mac has crashed, and that they give you the installation files you need (Ask for 64-bit installers).

So...

Perform this: Update to High Sierra First

To do so, you have to first backup your Mac, then erase the hard drive, then install High Sierra. Once Installed, perform the upgrade to Mojave.

5 Steps:

1. First: create a Time Machine Backup (TMB) of your current Mac.
  2. Erase: your Disk
  3. Install: High Sierra
  4. Upgrade: to Mojave
  5. Migrate: Items over using Migration Assistant

5 Steps In Depth:

1. Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the transfer.

2. Erase your Disk

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode
  2. Go to: Disk Utility
  3. Erase: the hard drive

3. Install High Sierra:

Create and use a High Sierra USB Bootable Installer. Use a USB Flash Drive of 16GB to create it.

4. Upgrade to Catalina:

Go Here: How to Upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

5. Migrate and Reinstall Data and Apps:

Next migrate it over from the Time Machine Backup you created in Step 1.

Sep 9, 2020 12:25 AM in response to roshanara129

Your mac being a 2015 model can upgrade to any macOS from Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina,

it will probably be able to upgrade to Big Sur when it is released in the near future.

How much RAM does your mac have installed, Mojave and Catalina benefit from having

8GBs of RAM minimum, the others are OK on 4GBs minimum.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina be warned that it does not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/. Once the list has been created you can then

contact the developers of the apps to see if they provide 64bit updates. 

With the introduction of macOS High Sierra Apple introduced the new APFS file system.

When upgrading to any of the newer OS's from an older one like El Capitan the installation

will convert the internal SSD to APFS, in some cases others have experienced that if doing this

from older OS's like El Capitan or Yosemite the installation can get stuck at the conversion phase.

With that in mind I would recommend upgrading first to macOS High Sierra and once you have got

that installed and working you can consider upgrading further either to Mojave or Catalina.

Mojave being my favourite of the two.

Please use Safari to access the following links do not use Firefox

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

Best OS for MacBook Pro 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.