Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No way to load installed Windows 10 on Macbook Pro 15

Hi!

Need help to fix a Windows 10 installation on my Mac. Windows 10 was installed through Boot camp Assistant, all went well: I was able to switch between systems on start holding Alt. But after laptop being turn off on next start it kept loading Windows by default (if I not hold Alt). I tried to tune this in MacOS Settings -> Start up disk. But there was only MacHD present. At this point I clicked on it and after that I was unable to load to windows 10 holding Alt on startup...

The Bootcamp partition is still present and looks ok (I have NTFS driver installed in Mac OS). But I haven't checked it anyhow.

Here is some info from gdisk, I hope that'll help:

sudo gdisk /dev/disk0
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.5

Warning: Devices opened with shared lock will not have their
partition table automatically reloaded!
Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Some more output from gdisk attached.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 11:23 PM

@LonerT, thanks, that kind of helped, but with an issue...

So the Paragon's article described my exact problem and it also offered a solution to it: "To circumvent that, we include our own startup disk selector that only shows NTFS partitions mounted with our driver." After I selected the boot drive using Paragon's application and restarted my laptop Windows 10 successfully loaded...

BUT!!!

I was not able to load into Mac OS anymore - the same fashion as before: I hold Alt(Option) on startup, but boot window never appears.

Probably there is some way to switch back via some Paragon's tool for Win, but I haven't had any and I needed to load Mac OS ASAP - no time to wait their support answer. So I ended up with Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac – Apple Support. After this the state of things reset to the beginning: I'm able to load any OS using boot window on startup; I don't have any more startup disks in the Startup Disk section of system prefs except for Mac HD; Win 10 is loaded by default.

Interesting that after NVRAM/PRAM reset the Paragon's NTFS driver started to ask permission to install kernel extension (some new security feature of Mac OS as I understand) which I refused. Paragon driver then works only in read only mode. But that doesn't result into proper Startup Disk state.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 11:23 PM in response to Loner T

@LonerT, thanks, that kind of helped, but with an issue...

So the Paragon's article described my exact problem and it also offered a solution to it: "To circumvent that, we include our own startup disk selector that only shows NTFS partitions mounted with our driver." After I selected the boot drive using Paragon's application and restarted my laptop Windows 10 successfully loaded...

BUT!!!

I was not able to load into Mac OS anymore - the same fashion as before: I hold Alt(Option) on startup, but boot window never appears.

Probably there is some way to switch back via some Paragon's tool for Win, but I haven't had any and I needed to load Mac OS ASAP - no time to wait their support answer. So I ended up with Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac – Apple Support. After this the state of things reset to the beginning: I'm able to load any OS using boot window on startup; I don't have any more startup disks in the Startup Disk section of system prefs except for Mac HD; Win 10 is loaded by default.

Interesting that after NVRAM/PRAM reset the Paragon's NTFS driver started to ask permission to install kernel extension (some new security feature of Mac OS as I understand) which I refused. Paragon driver then works only in read only mode. But that doesn't result into proper Startup Disk state.

No way to load installed Windows 10 on Macbook Pro 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.