Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing email

i have a gmail account linked to my apple ID atm but i have made an icloud email so i can change the ID to that email but it comes up with an error message,

“This email address cannot be used as an Apple ID at this time.”

will it eventually let me change or do i need to keep the gmail account?

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 8:58 AM

See the Apple Support article(s) below. From the article below.

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

Apple ID Name Change.        

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 8:58 AM in response to emilycarson

See the Apple Support article(s) below. From the article below.

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

Apple ID Name Change.        

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

changing email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.