Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant - Unable to read the Windows partition

Hi, I have created a Boot Camp partition with Boot Camp Assistant more than one year ago and I decided to eliminate it and create a new one in order to install a new version of Windows.

Probably my memory wasn't good at all and I should have deleted the partition with Boot Camp Assistant, instead I've done it with Disk Utility.

Now when I try to create a new Boot Camp partition the result is this message:

"Unable to read the Windows partition

Boot Camp Assistant was unable to verify if the Windows partition contains a Windows installation. This may be because BitLocker is enabled on the partition. If so, disable BitLocker on the disk before removing Boot Camp."

I want to clarify: I've never used BitLocker.

I'm pretty sure that I've removed the Windows partition in a wrong way and this means that something is still there and I don't know how to solve this mess!

This the result on Terminal for diskutil list, and in disk1 there is a "Windows Recovery" partition!

Next one image is "diskutil apfs list" result. Honestly I don't know if it's useful or not, but in this forum I've read somebody that suggested it:

Machine tech specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Thank you so much!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 6:13 AM

Run

diskutil eraseVolume free free disk1s3

and retry.

Similar questions

3 replies

Boot Camp Assistant - Unable to read the Windows partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.