Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K failing to connect to library with Home Sharing

I have a problem with Apple TV 4K and Home Sharing which has just started out of nowhere.

To set the scene, I have three other Apple TV units in the house that are third generation, and one single 4K model. All of them were previously working with Home Sharing, but in the last couple of days, the Apple TV 4K model keeps saying that it cannot find any libraries.

It is clearly not the case, as the iMac which I use as my home server has Home sharing switched on (otherwise, none of the other devices would be able to access content either). In addition, it is definitely not a home network connectivity issue, as every other service on the Apple TV 4K works, for example YouTube, Netflix, Arcade.

• I have not made any changes to settings anywhere.
  • I have also tried logging out and logging back in to Home Sharing on the Apple TV 4K, but this has achieved nothing.
  • Similarly, I have disabled and then re-enabled the Home Sharing option on my iMac. Note that the iMac is running Catalina, and the setting for Home Sharing is in System Preferences, and therefore does not require the TV app to be running for sharing to work.
  • I have also tried a full restart on the Apple TV 4K device, which also does nothing.

Given that everything is logged in correctly, on all devices, and connectivity is sound, what's on earth is happening with the Apple TV 4K where it cannot find Home Sharing libraries but all older versions of Apple TV have no issue whatsoever?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 1:00 PM

In this order:

• Reboot the modem.
  • Reboot the router.
  • Unplug the Apple TV for 2 minutes
  • Plug in the ATV and retest.

After that I'm out of ideas.

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 9, 2020 8:24 AM in response to rkaufmann87

"What version of Mac OS is the Mac running?"

As noted in the post above, it's running on Catalina and has Home Sharing set in System Prefs. And the OS has not been updated recently.

"Also, have you verified both the Mac and the Apple TV are on the same network?"

Absolutely, also described in the post - this set up is all on the same network where there are 4 Apple TVs connected. 3 are 3rd Gen Apple TV, only the 4K Apple TV is failing to connect (but always has before).

To add some more detail re connectivity/network - connections from the iMac (media server) to the router and to all other Apple TVs (including the 4K one) are by Ethernet. No Wi-Fi at all.

Sep 9, 2020 2:05 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Well, colour me surpised. I almost didn't do this because I had already done all this to no avail, apart from one thing:

👉 Unplugging the Apple TV for 2 minutes.

I left it unplugged for a while longer than that, and when it rebooted, it all connected OK again.

Out of interest, how/why does leaving it unplugged for 2 minutes do anything? Do you know?

Anyway, I'm happy this has now worked out! Thanks

Apple TV 4K failing to connect to library with Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.