Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

400+GB music collection disappeared while listening to music/ Catalina just randomly crashed and gone

I use Time Machine with an external hard drive(2TB) to back up my files. The problem is when I attempt to restore my music library, it begins the process, but then stops halfway through, then gives me a message that I need almost 200GB more on my iMac's hard drive disk space. I don't understand because it was just on there and I have not added to it recently. I had previously had random restarts with Catalina, which had always resulted in extremely slow loading of Music, but it had always come back eventually. This time Music just reloaded with about 24GB of the most recent additions. Is there a way to access the music files while keeping them on the backup external hard drive? Catalina has been a total nightmare for me.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 6:52 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 10, 2020 7:58 AM in response to snicklefritz77

Hello snicklefritz77,

It sounds like music is missing from your Mac, and you tried to restore a Time Machine backup, but you're seeing an error saying there isn't enough available space to restore the backup, is that right? We want to help get to the bottom of what's going on.

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Were you seeing any errors or alerts about low storage space prior to the music disappearing from your device?
  2. Is any other content missing, or just the music?
  3. Were any changes made to your Mac or its settings before the issue occurred with music?
  4. You mentioned using macOS Catalina; are you using macOS 10.15.6? Find out which macOS your Mac is using

In the meantime, if you have songs or music video files on your computer, you could import them into the Music app, so they'll appear in your music library. More about that here:

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2020 5:03 PM in response to sterling r

Okay, first, I do not subscribe to Apple Music service. My music collection was gathered over time from CDs and various digital sources. I have access to the entire library in my Time Machine which is connected to a 2TB external hard drive. It is there. I have been slowly adding it back into the Music app, about 4GB at a time. This all very time-consuming, but when I had attempted to reload the entire library at once, about halfway through it stopped the loading with a message that my storage capacity was short by nearly 200GB. Ergo, I did the library search in the music app, but it said "not found". Same with Spotlight. It's only in my backup. My inquiry has more to do with why I am even having to do this at all? I never had these problems with iTunes for years and now this new Music app has everything all screwed up. I'm just thankful I backed the system up.

What I really was interested in was how to access my music collection without running it through this new Music app. Wish I just had iTunes back. I'm not very happy about my highly organized collection of music that took years to put together getting trashed by Apple with their stupid "upgrade". I have an adage that I've used for years: "If it ain't broke, don't break it!"

Sep 10, 2020 12:16 PM in response to snicklefritz77

snicklefritz77,

We really appreciate you taking the time to answer all of those questions for us. We have a few additional things we'd like to check and try to help isolate this further.

When you have a chance, could you please search for the missing content in the Music app by going to the search bar in the top left, and selecting the "Your Library" filter? When you do that, does any of the missing content appear there? Here's a great guide to help: Apple Music User Guide

If you don't see the content in the Music app on your Mac, please search for it in Spotlight or Finder: Search with Spotlight on Mac

Please let us know what you find. Thank you!

Sep 10, 2020 9:57 AM in response to brenden dv

To answer your questions:

1. No error messages or alerts before shutdown occurred. After logging back in upon startup, music library had been reduced to 24GB from over 400GB. The particular music that was playing when this happened was missing.
  2. I am only aware of music being missing, but that was easily my largest file.
  3. The primary change was when I updated to macOS 10.15.6 (Catalina).
  4. One update left me with a login screen with the top third missing, but login box was still accessible. After login, screen returned to normal, but partial screen was always there when waking up. That went away with an unannounced update. There have been multiple "surprise" updates with no warning with Catalina, and each time Music would take an extremely long time to complete loading, but would load eventually. I know it's a very large file, but this last time the system restarted unexpectedly, the file was not loaded at all, except for the most recent additions, of which only two albums were from earlier this year. I've been reluctant to continue adding to my collection since these issues with Music on Catalina.

Sep 18, 2020 12:20 PM in response to snicklefritz77

So, I basically answered most of my own questions, while everyone else answered nothing at all. I would still like to know why this problem I had happened at all in the first place. I took care of the problem that was caused by Apple's "upgrade" to Catalina by painstakingly reinstalling everything slowly and meticulously using my external backup through Time Machine. At least that works properly. I still have lost a great deal of album art which I have to correct as I notice it's missing. I have other questions, but at this point I don't see any evidence of anyone on this forum has much to offer. Thanks to everyone!

400+GB music collection disappeared while listening to music/ Catalina just randomly crashed and gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.