Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to have multiple users on an iPad? Like log out of iCloud, then log back in as a different iCloud account?

Hi, multiple users have been using the 2 iPad Pros at home but I want to start setting limits on them, but of course not myself. This would allow those users to use the iPad instead of the Chromebooks they are using for certain educational tasks, and without disrupting the much needed learning they should be doing.

Logging out of iCloud and logging back in through the settings menu frankly takes too much time and effort. I don't currently use Family Sharing, would that enable what I'm after?

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 10:26 AM

No.

Outside of schools that are part of an Apple Education program (which usually also requires enrollment, provisioning, and related network infrastructure), these are single-user devices.

The Mac is the multi-user device.

Family Sharing shares apps, media, and purchases, as well as some other features. Nothing relevant here.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 10:26 AM in response to P_Mgr

No.

Outside of schools that are part of an Apple Education program (which usually also requires enrollment, provisioning, and related network infrastructure), these are single-user devices.

The Mac is the multi-user device.

Family Sharing shares apps, media, and purchases, as well as some other features. Nothing relevant here.

Sep 9, 2020 10:29 AM in response to P_Mgr

In order to avoid merging each users data, you’d need to sign out of iCloud, erase the device by restoring it as new in iTunes or using erase all content under settings. Then the next user could set it up and sign in to iCloud without merging the previous users data with their iCloud data.

This is effectively what the education deployment system does via a remote management server every time a different student gets a device from the school.

So, no, iOS does not support multiple users.

Is it possible to have multiple users on an iPad? Like log out of iCloud, then log back in as a different iCloud account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.