Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photos

Does deleting photos from Recently Deleted on my iPad also permanently delete them from iCloud? If so, how do I store photos in iCloud but remove them from my device to make more space (like I do with movies and apps)?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 3:35 PM

Yes.

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 3:35 PM in response to Mjb2010

Yes.

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Sep 9, 2020 4:17 PM in response to Mjb2010

How important is it that these photos are accessible within the Photos apps itself? You could export the photos from the Photos app and store them in iCloud Drive as files. Then they will behave just like other iCloud Drive files. If you don't access them, they will be evicted and live only in iCloud unless you open them.

iCloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.