Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my family member wants to add their number to their new Apple ID on their MacBook but there is a message the the phone number is already in use with another account

my family member wants to add their number to their new Apple ID on their MacBook but there is a message the the phone number is already in use with another account. How do I fix this? My son has his own Apple ID and family sharing but he wants to use message on his computer. i want to remove a number that I can be reached at in my iCloud account.

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 5:19 PM

Is your son trying to add the number you want to remove from your account? If not, have him contact Apple ID Support for assistance.  See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.  

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support          Work through the screens to get a chat option. You may have to pick a slightly different problem.

Apple Support schedule phone call

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport.          People have posted it may take an hour or more to get a response.

If you want to remove a number from your account, you need to change the number on your Apple ID. After the change, allow up to 24 hours for the change to sync. Before trying to make the change, sign out of Messages/FaceTime on all devices/computers.

Apple ID - Manage   

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 5:19 PM in response to burnwagon

Is your son trying to add the number you want to remove from your account? If not, have him contact Apple ID Support for assistance.  See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.  

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support          Work through the screens to get a chat option. You may have to pick a slightly different problem.

Apple Support schedule phone call

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport.          People have posted it may take an hour or more to get a response.

If you want to remove a number from your account, you need to change the number on your Apple ID. After the change, allow up to 24 hours for the change to sync. Before trying to make the change, sign out of Messages/FaceTime on all devices/computers.

Apple ID - Manage   

Sep 9, 2020 5:27 PM in response to burnwagon

There are already other numbers associated with my iCloud account. It won't let me delete my sons number though. I told him he needs to sign out of iMessage and FaceTime on his phone and then maybe I can drop his number from my apple ID and he can add it to his. We will try it a little later before I turn him over to one-on-one apple support.

my family member wants to add their number to their new Apple ID on their MacBook but there is a message the the phone number is already in use with another account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.