Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to connect my MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) to a 27" thunderbolt Apple Display?

I read past comments saying that this wasn't possible. I was wondering if the issue was resolved ever. The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not work as the port on my 2016 Macbook is a USB-C.

Perhaps I should just buy the mac mini, or maybe the iPad Pro? Looking to use it for Graphic Arts.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 12:53 PM

Let Me see if I can help you with that problem,Likokonut. How many Parts/outputs/jacks do you have on your MacBook early 2016? If it is only one, then it is USB-C only. And does Not support thunderbolt three. No, all you need is a monitor that supports USB-c and/or display port, mini display port or HDMI 2.0,, pretty much any monitor that supports those things should work, Even better if it’s Mac compatible e.g. says works with Macs. Lg makes one.

Actually, Likokonut, you might be better off erasing, D authorizing and showing your current MacBook as it isn’t very powerful. Seeing as how you are A university student you should be able to get an educational discount *on either a refurbished or new MacBook or MacBook Pro or iPad Pro which ever works best for you, you might even be able to trade in the MacBook you have for credit on a new or refurbished one.

john brine

*With valid educational ID of course

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 12:53 PM in response to Likokonut

Let Me see if I can help you with that problem,Likokonut. How many Parts/outputs/jacks do you have on your MacBook early 2016? If it is only one, then it is USB-C only. And does Not support thunderbolt three. No, all you need is a monitor that supports USB-c and/or display port, mini display port or HDMI 2.0,, pretty much any monitor that supports those things should work, Even better if it’s Mac compatible e.g. says works with Macs. Lg makes one.

Actually, Likokonut, you might be better off erasing, D authorizing and showing your current MacBook as it isn’t very powerful. Seeing as how you are A university student you should be able to get an educational discount *on either a refurbished or new MacBook or MacBook Pro or iPad Pro which ever works best for you, you might even be able to trade in the MacBook you have for credit on a new or refurbished one.

john brine

*With valid educational ID of course

Sep 13, 2020 5:39 PM in response to Likokonut

Ok, i’ll try. You have thunderbolt 1 aka classic thunderbolt which does support mini displayPort ( don’t know which version of displayport).so here is a sorta helpful link about your display. Man! Talk about a mixed blessing !!

anyways, link ahoy !!!

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/can-i-plug-a-mini-displayport-monitor-into-a-thunderbolt-port/. So

technically you’d need a USB-C to miniDisplayPort cable.... but to play it safe, i’d get a powered—— active USB-C which should have Thunderbolt pass-thru,etc...and it Must say works with Mac and windows as well. Sorry but mac compatability is not 100%guanteed given in this situation.... i think this is the rascal that’ll do the job...yuuup, nudder link...

https://www.amazon.ca/Wavlink-Universal-Docking-10(USB-C-Ethernet/dp/B06Y5B7BDD/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Usb+c+dock+active+works+with+Mac+mini+displayport+output&qid=1600043811&s=electronics&sr=1-12

good luck

John B

Is it possible to connect my MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) to a 27" thunderbolt Apple Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.