Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update 13.7

Why have the policies for updates changed. Before you could wait if you didn’t want an update. However my iPhone is telling me that it will automatically update itself without my permission. I personally do not want update 13.7. It brings privacy issues that I certainly am not comfortable with and am a little disappointed in Apple for bringing to the table.

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 7:01 AM

7 replies

Sep 11, 2020 7:24 AM in response to D-M-S

you're welcome

PS: The privacy issues you are referring to are NOT what you think. True, they did make it easier to be part of contact tracing for Covid. BUT, YOU have to OPT in. You cannot be tracked unless you subscribe through the local health department API which Apple and Google created to be completely anonymous in the first place.

AGAIN, you cannot be tracked UNLESS YOU OPT IN. And even if you do opt in, no one could possibly know who you are or track you personally.

I hope that helps you be less fearful. Me personally? I'm incredibly disappointed the state of Florida is NOT using the API to let me know if I've come in contact with someone who has Covid. The tracking is completely safe and it's a HUGE disappointment my state is not letting me know this potentially life saving information. I guess that's just me.

Sep 12, 2020 5:45 AM in response to Faust_Tiger

That's a ridiculous statement. Updating one's device is good practice and keeps important things in check, such as updates to Safari keeping you safe when browsing, or bug fixes, keeping you updated from issues which needs to be addressed, but sure Apple if "forcing you." And yes, bringing you new features as they become available. But you are NOT being forced to do anything.

And for the Covid tracking, you OPT in if your state or location even uses the API Apple and Google jointly created to permit 100% anonymous tracking to see if you've by chance come in contact with someone who has tested positive. They too would have to have opted in. All 13.7 did was make it easier to opt in, but you are not being forced to opt in.

I am incredibly disappointed my state (Florida) has not utilized the API. I should have the right use possibly life saving technology to know if I've been exposed to Covid and I would opt in immediately if it were available to me.

Ps: Apple doesn't need your permission to do anything with iOS. You don't own iOS. You have a license to use THEIR operating system.

Sep 12, 2020 2:28 PM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1, actually not ridiculous. upgrading to point 0 release can be risky given Apple's recent quality control. Feel free to beta test any outstanding last bugs for the rest of us. Feel free to advise the other users who have 13.7 problems now.

Apple should not be changing an allowed preference that users have manually set to Request updates notifications and not to auto update. That is something Facebook is more likely to embrace. Apple doesn't have to do anything, unless they want to maintain the trust of their users.

Finally, Enterprise MDM systems are not necessarily tested/approved for new releases, and can break critical functionality. As an Executive Search person I'd think you'd be more InTune with corporate requirements for security.

That's all I'm going to say in this thread. Good luck to all.

Sep 15, 2020 4:05 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Apple indeed did bypass setting as I had mine set to auto updates turned off. I got notified of the new 13.7 update and purposely didn’t update. Three days later it had updated without my passcode or permission. It also changed setting regarding downloading updates and auto updates to on. They have always been off to save data and keep thing from running in the background without notifying me like....DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING UPDATES. I WILL DO THAT WHEN I AM READY

Update 13.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.