Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Gen 1 Apple Pencil won’t charge.

Brand new IPad Air, brand new Gen 1 Apple Pencil...cannot get my Pencil to charge above 3%, it has been plugged into the port on my iPad, and plugged into the charger that shipped with my new IPad. Is it faulty?

iPad Air, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 9:27 AM

As described, you may indeed have a faulty Apple Pencil.

Whilst connected to your iPad, verify the Pencil charging status from the Battery Widget - this being accessed from your first Home Screen. Your Pencil should show that it is charging - with an increasing battery charge percentage. If not, then perhaps you have a bad Pencil.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”.

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. Being new you should look to having it replaced. If the Pencil is within its one year warranty, if otherwise undamaged, Apple will usually replace the Pencil without quibble. If the Pencil is brand new, your retailer should replace it anyway.

I hope this information proves to be helpful to you.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2020 9:27 AM in response to Husker-fan

As described, you may indeed have a faulty Apple Pencil.

Whilst connected to your iPad, verify the Pencil charging status from the Battery Widget - this being accessed from your first Home Screen. Your Pencil should show that it is charging - with an increasing battery charge percentage. If not, then perhaps you have a bad Pencil.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”.

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. Being new you should look to having it replaced. If the Pencil is within its one year warranty, if otherwise undamaged, Apple will usually replace the Pencil without quibble. If the Pencil is brand new, your retailer should replace it anyway.

I hope this information proves to be helpful to you.

New Gen 1 Apple Pencil won’t charge.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.