Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed my Apple ID from an old email address to a new one. Everything is fine to sign into iCloud, to go to the App Store. BUT, when I go to Find My iPhone to erase an old device I am getting rid of, it defaults to the old email. Help?

When you change your AppleID from an old email to a new email address, how do you get Find My iPhone (Erase) to use the new AppleID? It keeps defaulting to the old email address, and won't recognize it to let me reset a password, either. What is the solution?

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 11:20 AM

I have the same problem as ShutoutoferaseiPhone: Find My iPhone defaults to the old email address. That address is now non-existent and I do not have the old iPhone that used that email address. How can I get Find My iPhone to use my current email address (AppleID)?

11 replies

Sep 28, 2020 8:44 AM in response to JosephineDimas

If you were syncing Messages with iCloud and deleted them, they can't be recovered. If you weren't syncing Messages with iCloud, do you have a backup you can restore from? Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.  

Nov 6, 2020 8:25 AM in response to N8note

Are you signed into the online store using the Apple ID email address where you want the email associated with the Apple Store to go? Have you gone to the online store, scrolled to the bottom of the page, signed in, and clicked Apple Store Account? Then Account Settings/Payment to see if the email address is correct there?

I changed my Apple ID from an old email address to a new one. Everything is fine to sign into iCloud, to go to the App Store. BUT, when I go to Find My iPhone to erase an old device I am getting rid of, it defaults to the old email. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.