Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files grayed out in Finder

My files and folders are often grayed out when I try to open them in an application. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be a nuisance. I can still open the files as normal, and if I change the listing order by clicking "Name", or "Date Modified", etc. they go back to normal, so it's not a huge problem, but an annoying one because they are hard to read. These are all files stored on my hard drive, not any cloud service. Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 12:09 PM

Yes, that's totally expected, but these are often files that were created in the application I'm opening them in. For example, Adobe Illustrator files that I'm opening from Adobe Illustrator. And as I said, if I choose the file it will open, and if I change the way they are listed then they all turn black. I attached two screenshots. One is when I initially open the folder from AI, and the second is after I click "Name" to re-order the list based on alphabet.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2020 12:09 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Yes, that's totally expected, but these are often files that were created in the application I'm opening them in. For example, Adobe Illustrator files that I'm opening from Adobe Illustrator. And as I said, if I choose the file it will open, and if I change the way they are listed then they all turn black. I attached two screenshots. One is when I initially open the folder from AI, and the second is after I click "Name" to re-order the list based on alphabet.

Files grayed out in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.