Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This won't work on OS catalina. The "sync over wifi" button does not show up in either finder or the Music app.

How can I sync my iphone XS on 13.6.1 with my mac using catalina 10.15.6 over wifi without having to plug it in every time?

It happened without my trying to once or twice with another older phone / computer that I had but they were both really slow. I have a much newer phone and computer now and am frustrated that this seems to be an impossibly so far. Thanks very much anyone for your help!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 3:48 PM

OK I have tested the link below. You first have to connect by cable.

When you have gone through turning on the wifi sync, do NOT hit the eject symbol next to the iphone in the sidebar. If you do it will not reconnect.

Against all normal advice, once the sync by cable has finished just pull out the cable. That seems to keep the iphone connected by wifi and in the sidebar. If you do eject it I think you have to re-establish the wifi connection by cable. It seems fragile to me.

See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad over Wi-Fi.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2020 3:48 PM in response to djldjl1231

OK I have tested the link below. You first have to connect by cable.

When you have gone through turning on the wifi sync, do NOT hit the eject symbol next to the iphone in the sidebar. If you do it will not reconnect.

Against all normal advice, once the sync by cable has finished just pull out the cable. That seems to keep the iphone connected by wifi and in the sidebar. If you do eject it I think you have to re-establish the wifi connection by cable. It seems fragile to me.

See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad over Wi-Fi.

Sep 14, 2020 12:35 AM in response to LD150

Well I have asked some experts to test it and I have tested it over a couple of days myself, and the conclusion is

QuickTimeKirk is quite right. You have to plug in in to do anything.

Getting it to appear in Finder Sidebar for WiFi sync is precarious and it will drop out at random. It is not even possible to get it to appear in Music on WiFi. The support article above is flawed.

You can report as a bug it at https://www.apple.com/feedback/ if you wish.

This won't work on OS catalina. The "sync over wifi" button does not show up in either finder or the Music app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.