Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to update my IPad OS

When I goto General -> Software Update.. I cannot click on "Download and Install" button, its grayed out.

My IPad charging is 90-100% and connected to Wifi even then I could not click on the "Download and Install" button, grayed out.

Please see attached screenshot and help me out to update my OS.

My current OS version: 8.1.1

Available software update OS version: iOS 12

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 8:35 PM

10 replies

Sep 11, 2020 8:41 PM in response to aasimosmani

It says to connect to iTunes.

1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer.
  3. Locate your device on your computer.
  4. Click General or Settings, then click Check for Update. 
  5. Click Download and Update.
  6. If asked, enter your passcode. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

Sep 11, 2020 9:55 PM in response to aasimosmani

Update your device using your computer

If you can’t update wirelessly on your device, you can update manually using a computer that you trust. If your computer is using Personal Hotspot on the device that you’re updating, connect your computer to a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network before you update.

1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer.
  3. Locate your device on your computer.
  4. Click General or Settings, then click Check for Update. 

5. Click Download and Update.
  6. If asked, enter your passcode. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

If you see error messages on your computer or need more space to update

Get help if you see error messages while updating your device with your computer. Or if you need more space for an update, you can delete content from your device manually.

* Upgrading to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS software provides the latest features, security updates, and bug fixes. Not all features are available on all devices or in all regions. Battery and system performance may be influenced by many factors including network conditions and individual use; actual results may vary.

This is from Apple's Support Page

Sep 13, 2020 3:14 AM in response to r1khil

This might be the culprit. "Resolve issues between iTunes for Windows and third-party security software".

It's my company laptop, may be due to some security reaons it was not allowing to connect to the Apple's IPad software update server.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201413

At last I have get it done outside. Thanks r1khil and ZintainUSA for your efforts.

Sep 12, 2020 5:53 PM in response to ZintainUSA

Thanks ZintainUSA. I have already checked this but was unable to proceed due to lack of knowledge about itunes as I am new to Apple, did some research and atlast came to know that we need to install itunes software in my computer.

I have installed itunes in my PC and connected IPad with USB cable, given options shows in attached screenshot.

When I clicked on "Check for Update" it tried to connect to "IPad software update server" but failed, screenshot attached.

Is this correct procedure what I am doing?

Could you please review and let me know what might be the reason, tried multiple times but no luck.

NOTE:- My IPad battery is above 90%, connected to Wifi also - connection is good.

Sep 11, 2020 8:45 PM in response to aasimosmani

iOS 12 is not available anymore, you have missed the boat so to say.

Which iPad model do you have?

See Settings > General > About > Model Number > tap here and tell us the number starting with A????

Anyway, you need to delete iOS 12 and start again with the latest iOS/iPadOS version compatible to your device.

Sep 11, 2020 9:38 PM in response to aasimosmani

This is because your iPad is very far behind and your not able to download that version anymore. The only way that you can get that update is to connect your iPad to a computer with the most current version of iTunes installed on it and let it do the update that way. If you connect it to a computer with iTunes and follow the directions you will be able to get iOS 12 but that is the only way that you are going to be able to get it that way. That's why under the Download and Install button it tells you to connect to iTunes.

I am unable to update my IPad OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.