Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't find folder on mac

I selected about 500 items from a folder (I made a few weeks ago) and clicked New Folder with Selection, the items are gone from the other folder and I can't find the folder I just made with the selection. How can I find it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 12:04 AM

Hey there! Eau Rouge said it.

Di you remember what folder these were where the content that you selected?

The data should be within that folder.

If not, I would open Spotlight, (Press Command and Space Key, and search, “New Folder”, the new folder should show, (unless you’ve done this a few times without renaming the new folder).

Once you click on the result, you should be able to see your files.

To find the location, with Finder open, on the top menu select View > Show Path Bar, then on the bottom of the Finder window, you’ll see the path to that folder, and rename, move, or delete it if you need to.

(Or, you can right click, or choose File >: Show Enclosing Folder, if available), which shows the folder the new folder is in, (Sorry if that’s confusing, but the Show Path Bar may tell you the exact location, unless it’s hidden).

As said before, if you select a bunch of files within a folder, it creates a NEW folder within that folder to store those items. If you actually selected an entire folder, then that folder is stored in the “New Folder (with selected items)”.

Hope that helps, otherwise there maybe a technical reason you can’t find the files, is so let us know!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2020 12:04 AM in response to ley__

Hey there! Eau Rouge said it.

Di you remember what folder these were where the content that you selected?

The data should be within that folder.

If not, I would open Spotlight, (Press Command and Space Key, and search, “New Folder”, the new folder should show, (unless you’ve done this a few times without renaming the new folder).

Once you click on the result, you should be able to see your files.

To find the location, with Finder open, on the top menu select View > Show Path Bar, then on the bottom of the Finder window, you’ll see the path to that folder, and rename, move, or delete it if you need to.

(Or, you can right click, or choose File >: Show Enclosing Folder, if available), which shows the folder the new folder is in, (Sorry if that’s confusing, but the Show Path Bar may tell you the exact location, unless it’s hidden).

As said before, if you select a bunch of files within a folder, it creates a NEW folder within that folder to store those items. If you actually selected an entire folder, then that folder is stored in the “New Folder (with selected items)”.

Hope that helps, otherwise there maybe a technical reason you can’t find the files, is so let us know!

Sep 11, 2020 10:53 PM in response to ley__

When you create a folder with a selection of items, the default location for the New folder with selection

is in side the folder where you selected the items. Did you move the New folder with selection to a new

location.

What did you call this new folder, if you did not rename it then the default name for the folder would be

New Folder with Items. Have used Spotlight and searched for any folders with either the new name or the default name.

How about a search for the name of one of the files you wanted in this new folder.

Sep 11, 2020 11:07 PM in response to Eau Rouge

When you create a folder with selections the folder will be selected so that it will be named right? In my case it wasn't selected so I couldn't name it and now I can't find the folder anywhere. I tried to look for the items in other folders because it might be there but I didn't see it on any of the folders.

Sep 11, 2020 11:17 PM in response to ley__

When you select the group of items and then press New Folder with Selection

the new folder will appear inside the folder the selection was made and will be

called New Folder with Items, this will be highlighted so you can enter your own

custom name.

It can only be moved out of the enclosing folder by you.

If you know the name of one or more of the files you selected

to be inside this new folder then type the name into Spotlight,

if Spotlight finds the file highlight it and press Command-R.

This will open a Finder window with the location of where the

file is.

can't find folder on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.