Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with partition problem (Macbook Pro 13")

Hi, I am having trouble starting up my macbook pro 13". I followed the instructions I found in Google, but Disk Utility keeps telling me to repair the disk. I did, but it still gives me the same message.

I think there is a problem with partition, but I dont know what to do.

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 7:52 PM

Then click on the Erase button. Then continue the procedure from there:

1. Quit Disk Utility after the formatting is completed.
  2. Select Install OS X from the Utility Menu, then click on the Continue button.

See if that works.

Similar questions

13 replies

Sep 13, 2020 8:21 PM in response to jungkim123

If you are referring to the Macintosh HD (indented) entry, then you need to reformat the drive. I'm not sure what version of OS X you have installed but I think this will do the trick: Note that you will select the physical drive entry (out-dented) that is the topmost entry.

Install Lion Through Yosemite from Scratch

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears. This is slower than a normal start, so be patient.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the side list. . Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar.
  4. Click on the Partition button in Disk Utility's toolbar. 
  5. Set the number of partitions to one (1) from the Partition Scheme drop-down menu.
  6. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  7. Click on the Apply button.
  8. Quit Disk Utility after the process is completed.
  9. Select Install OS X from the Utility Menu, then click on the Continue button.

Sep 14, 2020 6:32 PM in response to Kappy

Unfortunately, I can't do anything in this Partition section... I can't click any of the buttons. Also, it says "the partition contains a locked disk and can not be resized until it is unlocked." My options are limited in the physical drive one.

Oh, you don't have to be sorry! You have been very helpful and patient. I highly appreciate your help and effort.

Sep 13, 2020 7:23 PM in response to Kappy

I did select the indent, but it's not letting me to repair the disk. I CAN'T click "Verify Disk" and "Repair Disk."

The only options I can click here are First Aid, Erase, and Restore.

FYI: The message I keep getting is "The partition map needs to be repaired because there's a problem with the EFI system partition's file system."

Sep 14, 2020 8:42 AM in response to jungkim123

OK. Stick with the physical, out-dented entry. Click on the Partition button. That should produce the Partition Scheme dropdown menu. It will also show the formatting selections, too.

I'm sorry for the confusion but there are different versions of Disk Utility, and I'm not always sure of the right directions for another's Disk Utility. Thank you for being patient with me.

Help with partition problem (Macbook Pro 13")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.