Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up iPad for a child

I’m trying to set up an iPad for my 4 year old child for her school, I tried using family sharing, but the iPad still uses my Apple ID and automatically has all my data in the iPad. It doesn’t ask me for any downloads either. Need help.

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 11:28 PM

You need to create an Apple ID for your child. After you create the Apple ID you can turn use Family Sharing to allow that Apple ID on a device that you aren’t using. IPads are not designed to be used by multiple users, they are designed to be used for one user only so if you turn on Family Sharing, that has to be used for separate devices. Each device will need to have it’s own Apple ID. If you are trying to set it up for your child on a device that you use, then it’s always going to have access to everything that you do on it as that is how it is designed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2020 11:28 PM in response to ansab113

You need to create an Apple ID for your child. After you create the Apple ID you can turn use Family Sharing to allow that Apple ID on a device that you aren’t using. IPads are not designed to be used by multiple users, they are designed to be used for one user only so if you turn on Family Sharing, that has to be used for separate devices. Each device will need to have it’s own Apple ID. If you are trying to set it up for your child on a device that you use, then it’s always going to have access to everything that you do on it as that is how it is designed.

How to set up iPad for a child

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.