Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone se I can hear and others hear me on FaceTime but not when using the phone?

Why does my phone not work? I can’t hear and others can no longer hear me

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 7:03 AM

Hi barmarlis,

Got it, thanks so much. As these steps help to isolate the issue to your cellular calls, and it is certainly unexpected behavior, you'll want to reach out to your wireless carrier directly at this point.

We recommend asking about the following:

• Your account is set up properly to use your iPhone.
  • There aren't any localized service outages.
  • Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
  • Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.

Here's a great resource with links to different wireless carriers worldwide:

Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in the United States and Canada

Have a great day!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 7:03 AM in response to barmarlis

Hi barmarlis,

Got it, thanks so much. As these steps help to isolate the issue to your cellular calls, and it is certainly unexpected behavior, you'll want to reach out to your wireless carrier directly at this point.

We recommend asking about the following:

• Your account is set up properly to use your iPhone.
  • There aren't any localized service outages.
  • Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
  • Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.

Here's a great resource with links to different wireless carriers worldwide:

Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in the United States and Canada

Have a great day!

Sep 14, 2020 7:20 AM in response to barmarlis

Hi barmarlis,

We're glad you've reached out through Apple Support Communities for help with this audio issue on your iPhone while in a FaceTime call. We're glad to help!

Let's ensure we're on the same page. You mentioned that this isn't occurring in regular cellular calls, correct? Is similar behavior occurring when using the microphone or speaker in any other apps, such as when recording a video with the Camera app, or a voice memo in Voice Memos?

If it's isolated to FaceTime, is it occurring when you call multiple different contacts?

Let us know if the information in this guide helps, under the section titled, "If you have connection or sound quality issues with FaceTime":

If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We're here for you if you've got any questions!

Have a great day.

Sep 14, 2020 2:03 PM in response to barmarlis

Hi barmarlis,

Thanks for clarifying. In that case, as the issue is isolated to cellular calls, let us know if it's only happening when holding the iPhone to your ear, or when using speakerphone. Does it occur regardless of where audio is playing? How about if you connect a set of headphones?

Also, what happens if you place a FaceTime audio call, and hold it to your ear? This guide explains how to make a FaceTime audio call, under the section titled, "Make a FaceTime call:"

Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Will it be possible to test if the microphones pick up sound using the Voice Memos app?

Take care!

Sep 14, 2020 5:59 PM in response to chuck_3rd

The audio does not work with speaker phone or holding to my ear for both parties to the call.

The FaceTime audio & video works, again for both parties on the call.

Headphones and ear buds do not work either again for both parties on the call

Using FaceBook videos and also Messenger VideosI can hear as can the person I am talking to,

I can hear voice memos, YouTube, record and play my videos and hear it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

iPhone se I can hear and others hear me on FaceTime but not when using the phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.