Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an older MacBook Pro (mid2012) I would like to upgrade to mac os Catalina Can I take my computer to an apple store to have it done?

I have an older MacBookPro (mid2012) I would like to install Catalina. I don't have the know-how to do it. Can I take my computer to an Apple store and have them do it? Will there be a charge ?

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 10:26 AM

You don't have to take your Mac to an Apple Store: Learn how to upgrade to the latest version of macOS.

Be sure to read and follow all the steps.

3 replies

Sep 13, 2020 9:28 AM in response to Lostoctober

Many Apple Stores are still closed or running on limited hours due to COVID. It may be hard to get that help right now

What OS is the computer currently running?

Are you aware that some older apps will not run under Catalina? It requires 64-bit apps and cannot run older 32-bit apps. Check your "must have" third-party apps. Office 2019 and Office 365 are fully compatible, but Office 2016 must be updated via Microsoft Auto Update BEFORE installing Catalina. Office 2011 and older are not longer supported by Microsoft and cannot work with Catalina.

IF you use Adobe Creative Suite apps, check your versions with Adobe to see if they support Catalina.

Although sometimes incomplete due to a lack of reporting, this third-patry site helps with version compatibility:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

I have an older MacBook Pro (mid2012) I would like to upgrade to mac os Catalina Can I take my computer to an apple store to have it done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.