Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyway to change my current Apple ID to an iCloud email address?

In an attempt to change my Apple ID (currently a Hotmail account) to an iCloud account (idea was to centralise all my Apple stuff to an iCloud account that push those emails to my regular email.

I turned on the mail function thinking it simply created an iCloud email address for me. It does but it doesn’t make clear that the iCloud email address is now just an alias for your current Apple ID and you cannot change it to that iCloud email. (I realise it works under both addresses but I wanted it to be solely under the iCloud) so I could use the hotmail as a rescue.

Is there no way to change my ID to an iCloud email address? Because as I understand it, to make an iCloud email you create it with an Apple ID. But in doing that you tie the iCloud email to that ID so surely I wouldn’t be able to change my current ID to a new iCloud email as part of a new ID or would It?

I hope this makes sense I dizzy myself typing it out haha. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 1:33 PM

You need to use the iCloud ID that is already part of your Apple ID and is listed under Reachable at.

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support    I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 1:33 PM in response to iAbbeyApple

You need to use the iCloud ID that is already part of your Apple ID and is listed under Reachable at.

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support    I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Anyway to change my current Apple ID to an iCloud email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.