Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13.7 iOS and Apple Pencil Connectivity

Last night I updated my iPad Pro 2 to 13.7. Since then my Apple Pencil (2nd gen) has been acting funny. The Bluetooth connectivity is sporadic and jumpy. This happens in all the apps I use it with. I have tried forgetting the pencil, shutting down, and re-pairing. This does not resolve the issue. Other Bluetooth devices seem to work with no problem. Seems to only be the pencil.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 7:04 PM

I have solved the problem for my Apple Pencil connection. It ended up being an embarrassingly simple solution. It seems that the tip of the pencil was not screwed on tight enough. To be on the safe side, I unpaired the pencil, unscrewed it all the way, took it off, screwed it securely back on and then re-paired it. It works perfectly. I hope at least some of you will find this helpful.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 7:04 PM in response to CelesteL106

I have solved the problem for my Apple Pencil connection. It ended up being an embarrassingly simple solution. It seems that the tip of the pencil was not screwed on tight enough. To be on the safe side, I unpaired the pencil, unscrewed it all the way, took it off, screwed it securely back on and then re-paired it. It works perfectly. I hope at least some of you will find this helpful.

Sep 14, 2020 4:12 PM in response to CelesteL106

I have this problem too. The Apple Pencil wouldn’t work and it was completely dead. Now it won’t pair with the IPAD Pro. I’ve tried shutting down, airplane mode, turning Bluetooth off and back on and it will not pair.

I’ve been trying periodically over the last 2 days to pair and I have not been successful.

I have made an appointment to take both in but appointments were a week out...

Sep 14, 2020 9:18 PM in response to CelesteL106

I haven't had this happen when I updated mine. Just out of curiosity have you tried restarting the iPad? Not just shutting it down and turning it back on but restarting it. To do this, you have to press volume up, then down, then press and hold the power button till you see the Apple logo. Also make sure that the iPad is fully charged, I have seen people with issues with this with other updates and the 1st generation pencil and have heard that this has corrected issues.

Sep 16, 2020 1:50 PM in response to CelesteL106

One thing that has helped is that I cleaned my screen really well and my pencil has been working much better. Then it starts to fade away as far as connectivity goes. So I clean the screen again and I am back in business. I have to do this everyday. Is the pencil this sensitive, or, should I say “fragile?” I do not eat over my screen. I just have the usual dust and oil most people have on their screens.

13.7 iOS and Apple Pencil Connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.