Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to wipe a corrupt 2006 iMac w/o success

My 2006 iMac is showing signs of hard drive corruption — it freezes without warning and nothing short of a hard reset will get it moving again, so I decided to erase & replace. However, in Disk Utilities, the Erase and Repair Disk options are unavailable. I did manage to run Verify and it said the disk was corrupt. It refuses to open in Recovery Mode and I could not partition the drive to erase even a portion of it. I tried Single User Mode fsck -fy, which ran and said that the disk was OK, but after I rebooted, I was still unable to use the Erase function. I do not want to send this machine off to the recycler with sensitive info on its hard drive, but it's looking more and more like I may need a sledgehammer.

Was looking for a way to connect it to my newer iMac via the network and try to repair it as a target disk but could not find any way to do that without a firewire cable, which I don't happen to have. So what's the verdict: Do I order a firewire cable and attempt to repair this disk just so I can erase it, or is it easier to just use the Hulk Smash modification method? All important files have been copied to a flash drive so there's nothing on this that I need to recover, I just don't want anything that's on it to be recovered by anyone else.

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 3:30 PM

You have to restart from the 10.6.8 DVD and open Disk Utilities there and format the drive. That is the ONLY way it will work on 10.6.8, if you don't have that DVD then you need to buy one. I've seen them occasionally on E-Bay, Apple discontinued them years ago.

Similar questions

5 replies

Trying to wipe a corrupt 2006 iMac w/o success

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.