Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos

When I try and initiate iCloud for photos on my iPhone, I get a message that photos syncd with Finder will be removed. How do I know what photos will be removed and is there a way to avoid this action?

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 5:23 PM

The idea is that you must have a Mac somewhere with those photos on it. At some point, you synced them with your phone. If you turn on iCloud Photos on your Mac, those photos will be synced to iCloud. Then, when you turn on iCloud Photos on your phone, they will come back via iCloud.

My recommendation would be to connect your phone with your Mac one last time and make sure you have all of your photos on your Mac. Then you can back them up and/or archive them.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 5:23 PM in response to bomagma

The idea is that you must have a Mac somewhere with those photos on it. At some point, you synced them with your phone. If you turn on iCloud Photos on your Mac, those photos will be synced to iCloud. Then, when you turn on iCloud Photos on your phone, they will come back via iCloud.

My recommendation would be to connect your phone with your Mac one last time and make sure you have all of your photos on your Mac. Then you can back them up and/or archive them.

Sep 13, 2020 5:29 PM in response to bomagma

It means that you cannot sync to the iPhone and use iCloud Photos at the same time, it's one or the other. Firstly, make sure the photos are indeed on the Mac, and if so, then you can enable iCloud Photos on your Mac and they will upload. After, you can turn on iCloud Photos on your Phone, deleting the Finder-synced photos, and all your photos will then be available on all devices.

Learned from etresoft

Edit: etresoft your typing is too fast for me. LOL

iCloud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.