Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Pages, how to delete a page break?

In a large document, how do I delete a page break? (a blank page is what I am trying to get rid of)

When I try to do this, it warns me all the pages will be deleted.

Thanks for any help. This Pages is driving me nuts!

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 11:39 PM

If Pages gives yu that warning, you are probable selecting a page thumbnail in the left sidebar, then attempting to delete the page (rather than the page break). Deletions done using that method delete the Section containing the Page.

Deleting a Page break is done in the document body.

Start by going to the View menu ancd choosing Show Invisibles, so you'll be able to see any Page Breaks you've entered.

You can then place the insertion point immediately before the page break (and the leader line to the left of that break, then keying an Forward delete. The keystroke needed depends on the type of keyboard supplied with or on your Mac. On a laptop (MacBook), press and hold the fn key then tap the Delete key. On a full or extended keyboard, press the smaller (forward) delete key.

Or you can place the insertion point immediately after the page break (i.e. at the top of the 'blank' page), the press the delete/ backspace key.

his will delete the page break, allowing content below to flow upward onto the 'blank' page. Note that any objects set to'Stay on Page' may do that, resulting in those objects appearing on a pgae withdifferent text that before the change.

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 11:39 PM in response to Casuarina

If Pages gives yu that warning, you are probable selecting a page thumbnail in the left sidebar, then attempting to delete the page (rather than the page break). Deletions done using that method delete the Section containing the Page.

Deleting a Page break is done in the document body.

Start by going to the View menu ancd choosing Show Invisibles, so you'll be able to see any Page Breaks you've entered.

You can then place the insertion point immediately before the page break (and the leader line to the left of that break, then keying an Forward delete. The keystroke needed depends on the type of keyboard supplied with or on your Mac. On a laptop (MacBook), press and hold the fn key then tap the Delete key. On a full or extended keyboard, press the smaller (forward) delete key.

Or you can place the insertion point immediately after the page break (i.e. at the top of the 'blank' page), the press the delete/ backspace key.

his will delete the page break, allowing content below to flow upward onto the 'blank' page. Note that any objects set to'Stay on Page' may do that, resulting in those objects appearing on a pgae withdifferent text that before the change.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 14, 2020 12:44 AM in response to Barry

Barry, thank you. Please don't go away, and be kind enough to explain to me in simple terms

how to make things stick once dragged and dropped in Pages?

Items that I have dragged into Pages will not stay in the place I put them if I edit text elsewhere in the document.

Is there a way to ensure they stick?

Can I set edited chapters in stone (as in a pdf) within a 250 page document so that once it's to my liking it won't change?

NB Apple: Surely it's not beyond the wit of the writers of Pages to add a Stay function so that items will stick on the page where they have been placed!

Sep 14, 2020 1:17 AM in response to Casuarina

"Please…explain to me in simple terms how to make things stick once dragged and dropped in Pages?"

Objects placed on a page are automatically pinned to a location in the text, set to Move with Text, and are set to make text wrap around the object.

With this setting, adding text above the object will cause it to move to maintain the same position with respect to the point in the text to which it is pinned.

You can change any of these settings by clicking on the object to select it, then opening the Format inspector to make changes.

Click the Format brush, then choose Arrange.

Click Stay on Page to pin the object to the page (This actually pins it to a location a fixed distance below and to the right of the top left corner of the Section containing that page.). You can then drag the object to a different location on the page, and leave it there. Go to the Arrange menu and choose Lock to lock the object into position.

"Can I set edited chapters in stone (as in a pdf) within a 250 page document so that once it's to my liking it won't change?"

Text within a word processing document (whether in Pages or some other application) generally remains editable unless the whole document is made 'read only'. You can export the document to a pdf file via the Print dialogue. Click the PDF button at the lower left of the dialogue for a list of options.

PDF documents are editable in a PDF Editor, but less so in a PDF Reader.

"NB Apple…"

Apple provides the space for Apple Support Communities, but does not regularly participate in these user to user discussions.

For feature requests, use the Provide Pages Feedback item in the Pages menu to send your request for a feature enhancement directly to Apple.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 15, 2020 6:42 PM in response to Casuarina

Bless you, Barry, thank you.

Just to clarify: In order to be able to edit text, including deletions of lines, and still have photos stay with the appropriate text, I shouldn't use Stay on Page but Move with Text? Somehow this has been hard for me to get my head around, but now I write it it seems logical!

So actually what I want is for a photo to stick with its surrounding text, not go sliding all around the document when alterations to the text are made. I don't really want it to 'stay on a page' after all.

Thank you for your patience. I could use my age as an excuse, but won't.

Sep 16, 2020 1:48 PM in response to Casuarina

"Just to clarify: In order to be able to edit text, including deletions of lines, and still have photos stay with the appropriate text, I shouldn't use Stay on Page but Move with Text?"

Correct.

When you have some time to play, try making a copy of your document (Or make a new document with text and images), then do some playing around with the image placement and behaviour settings to see what they do.

Regards,

Barry

In Pages, how to delete a page break?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.