Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I found a mac on the street - how can I check to see if it works?

Hi! Avid Mac lover over here but I found a lonely little one on the street up the road and want to see if it could be part of our Mac family. When I turn it on I get the o with the line through. I plugged in a windows USB keyboard to abort startup but it doesn't seem to recognise it. All my other keyboards are wireless mac ones which I guess won't work. Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 9:53 PM

Please refer to Mac Startup Screens

6 replies

Sep 13, 2020 11:59 PM in response to Annaandharry

Annaandharry Said:

"I found a mac on the street - how can I check to see if it works?: Hi! Avid Mac lover over here but I found a lonely little one on the street up the road and want to see if it could be part of our Mac family. When I turn it on I get the o with the line through. I plugged in a windows USB keyboard to abort startup but it doesn't seem to recognise it. All my other keyboards are wireless mac ones which I guess won't work. Any suggestions?"

-------

Hand it over to Local Authorities.

Someone may be looking for it.

Sep 14, 2020 12:48 AM in response to Annaandharry

Annaandharry Said:

"I found a mac on the street - how can I check to see if it works?: No it was put out with a bunch of other random stuff as we had council cleanup. I guess I can check with the house it came from but I'm sure it isn't stolen."

-------

No one here would know if the item is deemed stollen or not.

So, I'd hand it over to Local Authorities, if found sitting about. Why? Because Information could be obtained from it, and I'm certain the owner wouldn't want their data hacked. Would you?

I found a mac on the street - how can I check to see if it works?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.