Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Apple Cinema Display or Thunderbolt Display for an 2012 i7 Mac Mini?

Hi all,

I was looking at a suitable monitor upgrade for my Mac Mini and ideally would prefer to stay within Apple. I currently use an older 20-inch Cinema Display (silver aluminium sides), but wondered if the Thunderbolt Display would work, or perhaps the 24-inch or 27-inch Cinema Displays (with the black bezel). What are my best options? 

Any help gratefully received.

https://everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple-led-cinema-display-24-inch-specs.html

2012 Mini spec…

2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

RAM 16GB

1TB SSD

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 7:50 AM

Yes the Cinema Display that you linked will work with your 2012 Mac Mini.

If someone I knew wanted to give me one for free or real real cheap, then I could find a place for it. But honestly, I would not go shopping for one or pay a lot for a 10 to 12 years old Display. I wound suggest looking at and getting a new or newer display (Samsung, LG, ASUS, ViewSonic, etc) with Display Port and HDMI inputs.

Personally I run dual 21.5" Samsungs on one of my 2012 Mac Mini's and a 24" LG on the other 2012 Mac Mini.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2020 7:50 AM in response to Yetizone

Yes the Cinema Display that you linked will work with your 2012 Mac Mini.

If someone I knew wanted to give me one for free or real real cheap, then I could find a place for it. But honestly, I would not go shopping for one or pay a lot for a 10 to 12 years old Display. I wound suggest looking at and getting a new or newer display (Samsung, LG, ASUS, ViewSonic, etc) with Display Port and HDMI inputs.

Personally I run dual 21.5" Samsungs on one of my 2012 Mac Mini's and a 24" LG on the other 2012 Mac Mini.

Sep 14, 2020 10:11 AM in response to Yetizone

You're welcome. I can't do that, because you might not like the Display that I pick out. You don't need both Display Port, HDMI or USB-C, but it gives you the option and the ability to move it to a newer Mac Mini in the future.

I'm not sure where you are geographically located, so it's hard to recommend a retailer like BestBuy, Frys, Staples, Office Depot, etc.. where you could go and look for yourself.

Sep 14, 2020 11:02 AM in response to den.thed

OK, perfectly understood - taste is of course very personal! I'm based in the UK, unfortunately there are no retailers locally so its going to be a leap of faith.

Re 27-inch monitor: I’ve been researching a little and If I wanted to utilise the the Mac mini's full 2560x1600 resolution for a 27-inch display, which port would I use on the Mac and which adapters would I need etc?

Apologies for the basic questions, but I've never bought a non Apple display before.

Sep 14, 2020 12:11 PM in response to Yetizone

The best Display for the older 2012 Mac Mini, is one that has HDMI or DisplayPort input and then use a Mini DisplayPort to Display Port cable.

The better Display but next best for the older 2012 Mac Mini, is one that has HDMI and USB-C. The problem here is, that the 2012 Mac Mini can only use the HDMI input using an HDMI cable.

Best Apple Cinema Display or Thunderbolt Display for an 2012 i7 Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.