Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo issues

How can I delete photos that are on my iPad without them deleting from my phone

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 2:56 AM

If you aim is to manage your Photos on your iPad and iPhone independently of each other, you need to break the link with iCloud photos. If you are using Photos in iCloud, deletion of a photo will remove it from your photo library on all devices that are using the iCloud service.

The iCloud Photo service does two things, (a) it synchronises your Photos between devices (such that additions/deletions to the photo library are synchronised) and (b) makes your photos available to other devices via a web browser.

To disable Photos in iCloud:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photos - switch to OFF

Instead of disabling the service for all devices, you might choose to keep the service enabled for the device upon which you intend to keep your “master” photo library - as doing so ensures that you have a readily accessible backup of your photos. For those devices that you disable the service, any photos currently on a device will be included in an iCloud or iTunes backup; whilst Photos in iCloud is enabled, your locally stored photos are not included in these backups.

Manage your photo and video storage – Apple Support

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful in resolving your photo management needs.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 2:56 AM in response to Bebe0705

If you aim is to manage your Photos on your iPad and iPhone independently of each other, you need to break the link with iCloud photos. If you are using Photos in iCloud, deletion of a photo will remove it from your photo library on all devices that are using the iCloud service.

The iCloud Photo service does two things, (a) it synchronises your Photos between devices (such that additions/deletions to the photo library are synchronised) and (b) makes your photos available to other devices via a web browser.

To disable Photos in iCloud:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photos - switch to OFF

Instead of disabling the service for all devices, you might choose to keep the service enabled for the device upon which you intend to keep your “master” photo library - as doing so ensures that you have a readily accessible backup of your photos. For those devices that you disable the service, any photos currently on a device will be included in an iCloud or iTunes backup; whilst Photos in iCloud is enabled, your locally stored photos are not included in these backups.

Manage your photo and video storage – Apple Support

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful in resolving your photo management needs.

Photo issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.