Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best security app

hi can you suggest the best security app for iPhone because some one tried to hack my phone

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 4:19 AM

The best security is afforded by fully enabling what you already have:

1) Set your device passcode to something ONLY you know.

2) Do NOT set your screen auto-lock to “Never”

3) Enable all “FindMy” settings

4) Set your iCloud password to something ONLY you know but which you can reliably recall from memory.

5) Enable two-factor authentication

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 4:19 AM in response to ubaid32

The best security is afforded by fully enabling what you already have:

1) Set your device passcode to something ONLY you know.

2) Do NOT set your screen auto-lock to “Never”

3) Enable all “FindMy” settings

4) Set your iCloud password to something ONLY you know but which you can reliably recall from memory.

5) Enable two-factor authentication

Sep 15, 2020 9:01 AM in response to ubaid32

ubaid32 wrote:

I never face such things, I switch from android to Mac, I am worried because I was thinking Apple is more secure but now I have doubts

Email scams are endemic. All platforms get them. Anyone with a telephone gets them. More than a few of the Apple scams likely target folks that have had their icloud.com or me.com or such email address exposed in some server breach somewhere, implying the user has an Apple device.

It's harder to hack the current configurations than it is to hack the people.

We—not our devices—get hacked. We re-use passwords. We use dumb passwords. We get scared or titillated or angry, and we click on stuff we shouldn't, and we log into an "Apple login page" with our Apple ID credentials.

I routinely get mailings with old passwords of mine claiming to have activated my camera and captured my data. Women on the 'net get some scarily bad targeted scams, too. I get phishing mail "from" a friend of mine suggesting that I visit some website or another, and this all directly due to a Yahoo mail server breach. That case is an obvious phish for me, as my friend died a few years ago.

Two-factor authentication can make your Apple ID harder to compromise—a miscreant will need your Apple ID and your password and access to your second factor. Or will need to convince you to send them the two-factor token. Which folks have tried.

Welcome to 2020. The sending email address can be forged. So too can the calling telephone number. And the attackers routinely test the efficacy of their scams, and adjust their "bait"; whatever spiel they give to fool the user into Bad Idea.

We see these email scam reports and calendar scam reports and support call scams numerous times per day, too.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Add-on apps won't help here, either. Some apps might well even cause problems. Some of the better-known anti-malware for Mac was previously uploading users' complete web browsing and web purchasing histories for resale, for instance. We're stuck with having to be skeptical.

Best security app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.