Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall Mac OS on mid 2007 iMac

Hi,

I’ve erased my hard drive to give this iMac to a friend. I’m having trouble reinstalling the OS, it’s trying to install El Capitan on disk utilities (CMD + R) but after the restart says it couldn’t complete. Any advice on how to install it by other means?

thanks!

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 5:29 AM

If you don't have the original install disks and you have access to a newer Mac, you could try creating an El Capitan USB bootable installer…

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If they are a good friend I wouldn't burden them with a seriously obsolete iMac that they can't get serviced, can't run modern software, etc.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 5:29 AM in response to slharper

If you don't have the original install disks and you have access to a newer Mac, you could try creating an El Capitan USB bootable installer…

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If they are a good friend I wouldn't burden them with a seriously obsolete iMac that they can't get serviced, can't run modern software, etc.

Reinstall Mac OS on mid 2007 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.