Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to eject disk from apple superdrive

I inserted a CD-RW disk into apple superdrive. The Superdrive did not register the disk at all. On my iMac I've pressed CMND+E, the Eject Button on top Right of keyboard. No Disk icon ever popped up on the Desktop, so can't drag it to trash.

I read on google some people were saying to use Terminal (don't know much about terminal). Tried typing: drutil eject disk in terminal (nothing happened) Tried: /usr/bin/drutil eject (nothing happened)

I tried restarting iMac

I've been using this new Superdrive for about 3 days now. My iMac is running most current version of the OS.

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 3:00 PM

I tried restarting computer a few times while holding eject button. Sadly it didn’t work for me. Also tried the click and hold left side of mouse button while restarting.

literally the only way I’ve been able to get it to eject is to take the Apple SuperDrive and plug it into my wife’s windows 10 laptop. At that point I can access control panel and see all devices and it gives me the option to eject disk (which works like a charm)

issue is I don’t always have access to her laptop and it shouldn’t take me plugging in my Apple SuperDrive to a Windows based PC to get it to eject lol.

(side note: wish Apple would have an eject button on the SuperDrive)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 3:00 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I tried restarting computer a few times while holding eject button. Sadly it didn’t work for me. Also tried the click and hold left side of mouse button while restarting.

literally the only way I’ve been able to get it to eject is to take the Apple SuperDrive and plug it into my wife’s windows 10 laptop. At that point I can access control panel and see all devices and it gives me the option to eject disk (which works like a charm)

issue is I don’t always have access to her laptop and it shouldn’t take me plugging in my Apple SuperDrive to a Windows based PC to get it to eject lol.

(side note: wish Apple would have an eject button on the SuperDrive)

Sep 15, 2020 3:30 PM in response to seraphicgfx

I've wished for button for decades! :(

To add the Eject menu to the menu bar, complete the following steps:

Open Finder.

From the Go menu, select Go to Folder.

Go to Folder command in Mac Finder

In the Go to the folder box, type /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras.

Go to the folder text box in macOS Catalina

Folder names in the Library are case sensitive.

In the Menu Extras folder, double-click Eject.menu.

The Menu Extras Finder folder in macOS Catalina

The Eject menu icon is added to the menu bar (the icon is a chevron with a line beneath it).

Select the Eject menu icon to display all the optical drives attached to the Mac. An Open or Close command appears, depending on each drive's current state.

The Eject Menu icon in macOS Catalina

Position the Eject Menu Icon on the Menu Bar

Like any other menu bar icon, you can position the Eject menu icon to appear anywhere in the menu bar. To reposition the Eject menu icon, press and hold the Command key on the keyboard, then drag the Eject menu icon to the desired location on the menu bar.

Sep 15, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Allan Jones

Allan Jones wrote:
I don't have anything running Catalina so can't check that OS.

FWIW, I am using Catalina, and the Eject.menu is located where BD indicates. I have a SuperDrive attached, and a menu bar Eject Icon. Don't remember how, or, if, or when I placed it there, but I also have a CDs & DVDs System Preference with "✓Show eject in menu bar" selected.

how to eject disk from apple superdrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.