Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manage my photos

My photos in is taking too much space on my Mac and iCloud - I am looking for a simple way to transfer photos from Photo For Mac to an external hard drive?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 2:15 PM

If you just want the image files on a hard drive, completely separate from Photo app, then you can simply export them.

You can either export the edited versions if you've done a lot of editing, or the unedited originals.

Alternatively you can just move the whole library to an external drive, and still manage it with photos for mac - but to solve the iCloud problem you would also have to unlink the library from your iCloud account.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 2:15 PM in response to Daiszeee

If you just want the image files on a hard drive, completely separate from Photo app, then you can simply export them.

You can either export the edited versions if you've done a lot of editing, or the unedited originals.

Alternatively you can just move the whole library to an external drive, and still manage it with photos for mac - but to solve the iCloud problem you would also have to unlink the library from your iCloud account.

Manage my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.