Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MacBook Pro glitching at login all of a sudden

I have an old MacBook (I have since replaced since I was looking to buy a new laptop anyway) that all of a sudden one day did not let me log in. It turns on to the login screen, and I would put in my password and it would say it was incorrect. Then, all of a sudden it only lets me type in one character and then does not allow me to type in anymore characters, either just not responding or having a BUNCH of other characters showing up, deleting, and then my computer mutes. It also will not let me delete anything and so I have to exit the login screen and reenter. I am looking to get back onto the computer to back up things I have stored. I have tried many of the initial solutions to MacBooks not accepting passwords, but I feel as though this is some other issue? thanks!

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 10:13 PM

Please check if you are able to login using an external keyboard.

Also check if you encounter same issue while booting from safe mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 10:13 PM in response to aneka272

Please check if you are able to login using an external keyboard.

Also check if you encounter same issue while booting from safe mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

2011 MacBook Pro glitching at login all of a sudden

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.