Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac late 2012 27" won't chime, boot, or illuminate screen

I restarted my iMac today from the Finder and it did not come back to life. It feels like it's permanently asleep, perhaps stuck in Target Display mode.

I had been trying to get my late 2012 iMac 27" to go into Target Display mode today with no success. I would hit command-F2, and it would switch away from the host OS video signal but not receive a signal from the connected laptop. Prior to today I would usually succeed going into Target Display mode but sometimes I would have to try twice. The first time I would see a black screen, and the second time it would operate as a second monitor as expected.

Now when I hit the power button power is delivered to the USB ports but that's about it. (I can tell the peripherals get power because they have lights.)

I tried:

• Disconnecting all peripherals, then hitting the power button
  • Unplugging and waiting to reset the SMC, then plugging in
  • Powering on with command-option-p-r to reset PRAM. I never get to the chime so this isn't working.
  • Powering on with option held down to get to
  • Removing and re-seating the four RAM chips, then powering on
  • Starting up without the RAM installed to hear the loud bleeps, then restarting
  • Starting up without the RAM installed, then plugging in the computer while holding down the power button. Fans spin and and the bleeper bleeps, but nothing else happens.
  • Removing the RAM and starting up with only one RAM chip installed
  • Removing the hard drive hoping to start up to a screen saying no hard drive could be found. Nothing happens

I never hear a chime, see any screen illumination, or see any messages on the screen.

It seems so odd that this would happen all of a sudden when I tried to restart the computer. Other than my intermittent lack of success with Target Display mode, I had no sign of this failure coming. It doesn't appear to be related to the hard drive because removing it did not change its failure state.

Is there anything else I can try at home before I either bring it in for service or sell it for parts?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 9:14 AM

You have done some good troubleshooting, please follow any additional steps you find in If your Mac won't turn on or start up in the order Apple has them.

Similar questions

2 replies

iMac late 2012 27" won't chime, boot, or illuminate screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.