Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App Store not updating apps

The Mac App Store will no longer update the apps on my Mac Mini running MacOS 10.14.6. When I click on an Update button I get the spinner for a few seconds, then it switches back to Update.

I have logged out of my account and back in. I have restarted my Mac. I have logged into a new account on my Mac. None of these things work.

What can I do?

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 2:23 PM

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2020 2:23 PM in response to David Vereschagin

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Sep 22, 2020 5:49 PM in response to David Vereschagin

Have this same problem that persists despite following all troubleshooting steps I have found so far:

• log out of App Store and log back in
  • log out/in of other services (iCloud) to confirm no issues with profile
  • enable auto-downloads for updates
  • reboot in safe mode
  • stopping the appstoreagent in the Activity Monitor

Only solution seems to be deleting and reinstalling the app, so I am assuming this is a new Mojave bug on Apple’s end.

Sep 20, 2020 1:02 PM in response to David Vereschagin

I have the same issue across 3 Macs on Mojave as of about a week ago. At first I figured it was my local update server but it still happened with the service shut down, then I figured I should repair permissions - but unfortunately it seems Apple felt it necessary to remove our ability to do that...

Cant remove the Application because that may also remove it's configuration which will take hours to rebuild. I'll just not update I guess.

Mac App Store not updating apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.