Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you backup iPhone to an external hard drive?

Hi,

My new iMac doesn't have enough storage space for me to back up my iPhone even once, but all the tutorials I've seen say you need to back up to a Mac first before you can back up to an external. Is there a way around that? Do I need to delete a bunch of stuff? Or do I just not back up?

Thanks so much for your help!

Alice

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 5:00 PM

13 replies

Sep 16, 2020 6:06 PM in response to Alicedkc

Alicedkc wrote:

That is a bad, nonsensical system that will hopefully be fixed eventually. Why wouldn't they just make it so it could back up like a Time Machine backup? It's just weird.

That's iCloud. Which also provides off-site backup.

The local backup operations can be wired or wireless, and the backup involves a Mac or Windows system for storage.

The Mac or Windows system can also be involved with resetting and reloading and updating the iPhone or iPad, if a problem has arisen.

Do send your suggestion along to the folks at Apple.

Sep 16, 2020 5:08 PM in response to Alicedkc

99¢ is a bunch of extra money?

Yes, you should back up once to create the directory structure, which you can then move to the external drive, then create a symbolic link to it (you apparently already found instructions on how to do that).

How about moving some other stuff to the external drive temporarily to free up space to do the first backup? How much free space does your Mac have? Unless you have thousands of photos that you don’t sync to iCloud (which you apparently don’t, because you aren’t paying for iCloud storage currently) the backup shouldn’t be that large, because it doesn’t contain anything that can be redownloaded like music and apps.

Sep 16, 2020 5:13 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I pay $1.50 a month for iCloud to get 50GB. But I have 400GB worth of stuff on my iPhone and only 100GB of space left on the iMac. I would essentially have to temporarily move my entire computer to an external, back up my phone, move the backup to the external and then move everything back to my computer. That doesn't really seem like a great system. I don't understand why Apple wouldn't have a way that you can just nominate an external to back up.

Sep 16, 2020 5:26 PM in response to Alicedkc

There's not a whole lot that can be done, here.

The iMac is under-configured for your current requirements and as you're well aware, and adding and booting from external storage and adding more external storage is about your only choice with this configuration.

Two or maybe three hard disks to be added, and preferably USB 3.1. SSD for performance, but that's more costly. Hard disk for capacity, (much) lower performance, and lower purchase price.

Or continuing to pay for iCloud storage and performing an iCloud backup, which'll be cheaper than overhauling the iMac hardware configuration.

Sep 16, 2020 5:46 PM in response to Alicedkc

Alicedkc wrote:

The iMac is completely fine for my computing requirements, it just doesn't have a big enough hard drive to back up my phone (and it shouldn't have to).

iPhone does not offer directly-attached local backup.

iPhone never has offered directly-attached local backup, either.

Options for backup are iCloud, or a local backup to a local Mac or Windows system.

Your Mac system lacks the necessary storage capacity for that backup—it's capacity-constrained for performing a local backup of your iPhone.

Which leaves you with adding more storage to the iMac, or paying for iCloud storage, or acquiring and using a Windows system.

Or not doing backups, of course.

Sep 16, 2020 5:47 PM in response to Alicedkc

Backing up to an external drive is not a feature supported by Apple. There is a workaround, but it’s kludgy and, as you realize, it requires having at least one backup first to create the SQLite database that holds the backup. MrHoffman’s idea of booting to an external drive has merit. But for what you want to do your iMac is undersized; there’s no way around that.

You need to consider backing up your photos some way in case of disaster. Dropbox, box.com, Google Photos are all good options. I think that Dropbox has a free account good for up to 1 TB, so you might check out that. And there is a Dropbox app that will sync photos automatically. Same with Google Photos; there’s a free version, but it doesn’t store full resolution. Or pay more to back up to iCloud. It will be less expensive than other options, as MrHoffman said.

How do you backup iPhone to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.