Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 update stuck on “Preparing Update”

When I update to the iOS 14 it’s stuck on preparing update. I deleted the software update and restarted and re updated but it still stuck on preparing update.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 5:41 PM

13 replies

Nov 13, 2020 8:39 PM in response to pramuk275

My Mac Mini failed to install twice. I rebooted and got through all the upgrade right up to where it rebooted by itself. It then rebooted 4 times and is now stuck about 1/4 way through the startup. Just an apple logo and incomplete progress bar. It hasn’t moved in 4 hours. I’m afraid to turn it off. I’ll let it sit overnight. Then turn off the power.

crap.

Dec 1, 2020 1:36 AM in response to leighanne_m

This gives me hope! I’m at around the 7 hour mark of restoring/downloading/preparing update on new phone - also done hard reset on PC & put phone in DFU mode. Have tried every suggestion on Google. And now I have tried logging out of my Apple ID - this wasn’t suggested anywhere on Google - but probably only thing I haven’t tried!? So now I’m sitting waiting, hoping, praying that this is the magic answer to get to the end of preparing update because I need this phone to be operating for work in the morning!

Jan 9, 2021 3:46 PM in response to pramuk275

Mine is doing the same thing on my iPad. I’ve deleted it twice now because apple tech said to do so. I did the download again and it said preparing update again. So I deleted that one because my iPhone installed it faster than the iPad and I started the iPad first. So now I’ve did it once more and I started the process at 6:03 pm and it’s now 6:45 pm and it still says Preparing update. I was told by the apple tech to call tomorrow if it doesn’t work again. It’s ridiculous!

Jan 13, 2021 6:46 PM in response to Freespirit7

I'm having the same issue and have tried all the options / suggestions I can locate, except for giving it more time. After about 30 min. I deleted the update and started over. The only hopeful thing I've noticed is that now (at about the 35 minute mark) the little spinning circle icon next to my wi-fi icon continues to spin, denoting that it's processing something. But, it really is preposterous the amount of time this is taking, considering I'm on lighting fast wi-fi and the only person using it at present. I had to do a full, large-scale update earlier today for Windows 10 on my notebook computer, which is a huge amount of data and processing, and it took 15 minutes in total. This shouldn't be so clumsy nor so lacking in giving back any useful indications of what the actual status is, if something really is wrong, or when in the name of Hades this thing will actually, maybe, perhaps, be done. I was old enough when I started this. I'll be retired and in "the home" by the time it's done.

iOS 14 update stuck on “Preparing Update”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.