Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tvOS 14 aerial screensaver stuck on LA

Updated to tvOS 14 today and now I have the dreaded bug of the aerial screensavers beIng stuck on downtown LA. Not sure there’s a fix for this, restart didn’t help.

Anyone else having this issue? If so please submit feedback so they can fix it: Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Thank you

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 6:53 PM

Thanks, yes all of you report this or they won’t fix it. I was their first report. I don’t know if they only classify calls being a report or if they take awhile to check the feedback links. I told them I saw a few posts about it.

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

I just reset it again. I have 4. I opted not to show cityscapes in order to force it to download more of the others. Which is only Earth and landscapes because it still won’t give me underwater. I’m still faced with the issue of if I SHOW only underwater I get downtown LA. But there’s a new issue, I see a new one in the Earth Theme, but if I swipe to do a count on how many I have, it gets taken out. I can only swiped to see 4. I think I have 7 now. So I’m just leaving it alone and I’ll just tap to see locations to keep it running, so it doesn’t go to sleep. Then on Wednesday I’m calling Apple back 1 800 MY APPLE - they are very helpful and nice and don’t tell you it’s out of warranty. If they say take it to an Apple Store I can’t, so then I’ll switch it out with my bedroom one which works.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 6:53 PM in response to Minicooper7

Thanks, yes all of you report this or they won’t fix it. I was their first report. I don’t know if they only classify calls being a report or if they take awhile to check the feedback links. I told them I saw a few posts about it.

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

I just reset it again. I have 4. I opted not to show cityscapes in order to force it to download more of the others. Which is only Earth and landscapes because it still won’t give me underwater. I’m still faced with the issue of if I SHOW only underwater I get downtown LA. But there’s a new issue, I see a new one in the Earth Theme, but if I swipe to do a count on how many I have, it gets taken out. I can only swiped to see 4. I think I have 7 now. So I’m just leaving it alone and I’ll just tap to see locations to keep it running, so it doesn’t go to sleep. Then on Wednesday I’m calling Apple back 1 800 MY APPLE - they are very helpful and nice and don’t tell you it’s out of warranty. If they say take it to an Apple Store I can’t, so then I’ll switch it out with my bedroom one which works.

Sep 22, 2020 12:40 PM in response to Vancouver22

i left my screensaver on Apple photos - Nature overnight. Just switched it back to aerials to see if anything changed and I have one underwater now finally and also I can just select underwater and not get stuck in LA. Also can swipe to see more than 4, but it still will not show a new one I just noticed. I think it’s working now and more should load.

I don’t know if it’s a solution to get it working but it’s finally getting going . Two resets later.

• Also the Apple advisor told me if I want more underwater (for example) to load more, to just set it to show that Theme. Then change it to add other themes.

Sep 18, 2020 11:36 AM in response to Urquhart1244

So I just reset it.

Now I have several aerials and the new Themes setting is available as well

The only drawback is I'm now stuck with terrible Siri dictation and Homekit was tricky to set up.

I updated to tvOS 14 on my other ATV4k but used your suggestion to not have aerial selected before I did it. Aerials work on that and it has the Themes as well.

Thank you

Sep 18, 2020 1:41 PM in response to Vancouver22

Well, my conclusion is: Aerial is broken! I reset my device twice. Each reset, Aerial shows 4 new screen savers (one of each theme). But, 30 hours later, even set to daily updates, the Aerial show me the same 4 videos. If I reset again (3 try), the Aerial probably show me 4 new videos, but never will update them. Apple TV 4k with tvOs 14.

Sep 21, 2020 10:56 AM in response to Vancouver22

I’m not sure of the specific way I fixed it, but I toggled all the categories to hide, switched it to photos instead of aerial, manually started the screensaver, then switched it back to aerial and toggled all the categories to show again. I didn’t do it in this exact order, but I kept messing with these settings and finally it started to show different backgrounds again. You might have to mess around with these settings but I got it to work again.

Sep 21, 2020 4:50 PM in response to Leo4i20

I agree aerial is broken and my theory is it’s the themes feature they added. Right out of the gate I never even had themes. Did a reset and lo and behold I had themes. This gave me 4, no underwater, Fiddled around with them and they simply do not work. If I try to just use underwater I’m right back to downtown LA. So I have put the other themes back.

I called Apple and they said they have no other reports of this happening. She had me sign out of iCloud, go into screensaver and change it to download weekly, then restart. Change it back to Daily, Did that and I got one more, another Golden Gate Bridge, nothing more since then. I never get the underwater. I might do another reset. I realize they take awhile to load but you at least get a few new ones a day. I have plenty of room, so that isn’t an issue.

tvOS 14 aerial screensaver stuck on LA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.