Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data on Time Machine to new iMac

I am trying to transfer the data on my Time Machine to a new 2020 iMac. It is now churning away for six and one-half hours, and the indicated time remaining keeps fluctuating wildly. What gives? It seems that there must be something wrong.

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 7:21 PM

depends on the external drive -- I have done 500+Gb (from USB 3 drive TimeMachine) to PCI-e SSD for 7+ hours about (more or less). The similar amount with USB 2.0 Time Machine would take 15+ hours for 500Gb.

I did remember the fluctuation in terms of estimate remaining time.

My suggestion: be patient.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2020 7:21 PM in response to JTK

depends on the external drive -- I have done 500+Gb (from USB 3 drive TimeMachine) to PCI-e SSD for 7+ hours about (more or less). The similar amount with USB 2.0 Time Machine would take 15+ hours for 500Gb.

I did remember the fluctuation in terms of estimate remaining time.

My suggestion: be patient.

Sep 16, 2020 8:18 PM in response to JTK

Please describe exactly how the Time Machine External Hard Disk is connected to the 2020 iMac? Remember we cannot look over shoulder so we rely on you to write a good description. For example, "My Time Machine External Hard Disk is connected to my wireless router using a USB cable and I am attempting to use Migration Assistant to migrate from the Time Machine External Hard Disk to my new 27" 2020 iMac. "

The fastest and most reliable method is to connect the old Mac's Time Machine (or bootable clone External Hard Disk) to the new Mac using a USB Cable directly connected to one of the iMacs USB ports, launch Migration Assistant and your migration should be done within a couple of hours. When I set up my new 2020 iMac (actually I bought 2, one for me and one for my wife) I used this method and had them both set up an running within 3 hours from taking them out of the box. Any other method is unreliable and prone to failure.

Sep 23, 2020 2:15 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your response. I have a LaCie Porsche 5TB external drive with a USB-C port connected to the USB-C port on my iMac. Ultimately I successfully migrated all my data, after 7 hours. But Time Machine is ultra slow in encrypting, now on its 5th day (26% as of today, 09/23/2020). Trying to update my classic iPod is a nightmare, using the USB-C port. Every time I connect it the Music program it restores the entire iPod, does not update it, restores. Consequently THAT has been restoring since last night, still at it. I have 64GB RAM installed. I really don't know what else I can do to speed the process.

Transferring data on Time Machine to new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.