Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS14 Error 4000

I am trying to update my phone via iTunes to ios14 and I keep getting this unknown error (4000)

currently on 13.6.1 iphone 11 pro

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 6:59 PM

Error 4000 is an undocumented error code (at least publicly undocumented). It means that the connection between the phone and iTunes was interrupted in the middle of a sync or update activity. In the past this might have been caused by a flakey USB port, an antivirus or a firewall. However, there is a new cause of this error that is the result of a bug in iTunes for Windows that requires the phone not be locked during the update. So first check your antivirus and firewall (temporarily disable them), but if that doesn’t fix it there are three workarounds for the bug:

• Update over the air, by going to Settings/General/Software Update
  • Downgrade iTunes to version 12.8 if you can find a copy - try https://apple.com/itunes
  • Temporarily disable the screen lock passcode on the phone before updating using iTunes on Windows

Note that this error should only be a problem for updates; if you are restoring iOS rather than updating it should not occur.

66 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2021 6:59 PM in response to navneetsoni24

Error 4000 is an undocumented error code (at least publicly undocumented). It means that the connection between the phone and iTunes was interrupted in the middle of a sync or update activity. In the past this might have been caused by a flakey USB port, an antivirus or a firewall. However, there is a new cause of this error that is the result of a bug in iTunes for Windows that requires the phone not be locked during the update. So first check your antivirus and firewall (temporarily disable them), but if that doesn’t fix it there are three workarounds for the bug:

• Update over the air, by going to Settings/General/Software Update
  • Downgrade iTunes to version 12.8 if you can find a copy - try https://apple.com/itunes
  • Temporarily disable the screen lock passcode on the phone before updating using iTunes on Windows

Note that this error should only be a problem for updates; if you are restoring iOS rather than updating it should not occur.

Dec 15, 2020 12:57 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Fair enough dude, preferably I’d like Apple to fix this error 4000 is and the OTA bugs when installing iOS 14 installation and OTA and bugs.

Nice article by the way :) unfortunately none of it worked for my XS or 12 Pro.

Below is the error message I tweeted to Apple support when iOS 14 came out. It appeared when installing iOS 14 on my old XS. Removing the passcode may not have been necessary, but after doing that I was able to install it OTA. Correlation or causation 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oct 21, 2020 11:25 AM in response to MarkW33

Agreed ! I have also been getting the same issue for both my iPhone X and iPad Pro through PC iTunes update operation. As I do not wish to reinstall Apple Pay cards after disabling the passcode, I updated to iOS 14 and iOS 14.1 through the Settings/General/Software Update menu on each devices. Note that each devices were first backed up on my PC before updating to the new iOS version. I also hope that Apple will fix this lasting bug.

Oct 25, 2020 6:28 PM in response to Masaki_of_Siel

Turning off your passcode momentarily will solve this problem. But my beef is that Apple should've been out front about this and just notify people that this needs to be done prior to installation of the new iOS. I shouldn't have had to google "iOS error 4000" to find out what the heck was happening. This step wasn't necessary for previous updates. Why the change now?

Dec 15, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Is that why you’re on a forum that’s specifically discussing installation problems for iOS 14? If no one else was having a problem then I guess this page wouldn’t exist

https://www.howtoisolve.com/software-update-failed-ios-11-on-iphone-ipad/

If you’re not having problems with any of your phones then I’d say you’re fine and there’s more interesting websites to look at. Enjoy your day

iOS14 Error 4000

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.