Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Top Sites Missing - After iOS - Catalina 10.15.6 Update

Team

I know this has happened with a few users for other IOS updates on Mac and seems it happened with me today.

I have updated my MAC to 10.15.6 Catalina today and after installing and restarting my laptop, I can see Have lost Top Sites on Safari.

1). Top Sites used to appear on my new tabs and windows when I used to Open up.

Also, I can confirm that I can still add websites to Top Sites, it comes as a drop down under the Add this as Bookmark and I choose Top Sites. So this option is there but if I wish to see these Top Sites on new tab as default for every time I open a new tab/window, I am not getting it.

Please can someone advice.

Thank You in advance :)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 2:05 AM

this is just a suggestion. it may not work for everyone.

i just tried adding an empty folder to my Favorites list. i renamed it "Top Sites". i then added some websites to the folder. now my start page has this:

once i click the thumbnail, i get this:

i don't know if it will help everyone, but it's close enough for me.

finnaly, if you have a suggestion for apple on how to reintroduce top sites, let them know here:

Feedback - Safari - Apple

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 2:05 AM in response to jcochran1

this is just a suggestion. it may not work for everyone.

i just tried adding an empty folder to my Favorites list. i renamed it "Top Sites". i then added some websites to the folder. now my start page has this:

once i click the thumbnail, i get this:

i don't know if it will help everyone, but it's close enough for me.

finnaly, if you have a suggestion for apple on how to reintroduce top sites, let them know here:

Feedback - Safari - Apple

Sep 20, 2020 2:39 PM in response to proabhinav

Good afternoon proabhinav,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are looking for your Safari bookmarks after upgrading to macOS Catalina.

(iOS 14 is the operating software for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch). The resources below will help you with this.

https://www.apple.com/safari/

"Updated start page. Easily and quickly access your favorites and frequently visited sites."

Bookmark webpages that you want to revisit in Safari on Mac - Safari User Guide - macOS Catalina 10.15

Take care.

Sep 21, 2020 12:27 AM in response to judysings

Thanks for the response but I think your response is with respect to Bookmarks and my query was with respect to Top Sites options that was available before this update.

1). Before the update, we had Bookmarks option, Favourites & Top Sites option. One could add any site to any of these three options and make it accessible as in when needed.

2). I had all my websites added to Top Sites and available on HomeScreen and every new tab I opened.

After the latest update, Top Site option is gone.

If you/Apple is suggestion to use Frequently Visited Sites as an alternate to Top Sites, then surely does not address my concern and this is no way a helpful change, besides unannounced !

Favourites, Bookmarks & Top Sites all performed different utility / functions for all of us and if we now believe Top Sites was nothing but Frequently Visited sites, then it neither correct assumption, besides too late for Apple to think and act on this new change.

I sincerely hope Apple will review the decision and bring Top Sites back.

If this is a bug .. Fix !

Sep 24, 2020 9:41 PM in response to wliiygeetx

Agree. The decision isn't helpful at all and surprised we weren't made aware of this, nor this was picked in Beta testing.

Apple' decision to have Top Sites and continue it for ages and then abruptly remove it either shows, Apple thinks Top sites weren't helpful to consumers hence not needed or they thought the new layout is a great alternative to Top Sites.

More surprisingly, no comment has been made yet that this is a bug and fix being looked at or this is a planned change. Please do advice, if someone finds any article around the decision.

My new screen is no less than clutter with favourites on homepage :(

I sincerely hope they FIX this.

Sep 26, 2020 12:15 AM in response to proabhinav

I am very upset because Apple did not communicate anything about having canceled the "Top Sites" functionality.

And even more upset, because I spent a lot of time to recover it through my AppleCare Protection Plan.

I got several representatives trying to help me with many tests. I've spent hours for nothing as I understan now that Apple just dropped the fonctionality with the Safari 14.0 update.

Is there any way to restore this? Or rollback to previous Safari version? I had like 24 Top Sites ... had them for years, not sure what to do now... Apple please communicate your plans whatever the answer! If you drop it, say so!

Top Sites Missing - After iOS - Catalina 10.15.6 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.