Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weak Security WiFi on iPhone

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 6:57 PM

We are getting this same message, saying our security is set to "WPA/WPA2 (TKIP)" and we should use "WPA2 (AES)" or "WPA3", but our router is in fact set to "WPA2-PSK (AES)".

Is it possible the error message is simply wrong?

241 replies

Sep 20, 2020 8:25 AM in response to lawowita

Just downloaded IOS 14 and the same submessage "weak security" appears in my iPhone Wi-Fi. Spoke with my Internet Provider and told me the same Mr. Lang stated, "One possible downside. If you have much older devices that connect to the router that don't understand any security protocol newer than WPA, they'll no longer be able to talk to the router." The message won't appear in my vintage MacBook Pro (13" Late 2011) and an old iMac I have. Most likely because they do not have IOS 14 but do that make them less secure as well as my iPhone. I think Apple should have think a little more about this. If I update the router I make run the change of not being able to connect to Wi-Fi. Just waiting for a resolution on this. I cannot accept seeing a "Weak Security" message in my update IOS 14 iPhone. :(

Sep 18, 2020 7:09 AM in response to BSM767

Had to do a little experimenting. My iPad and iPhone also had the same complaint. Yup, my router was set to WPA/WPA2. I had it that way because my wife's old iPhone (which we no longer have) wouldn't connect to WPA2.

I changed the router's setting to WPA2 only (no option for WPA3). Went back to the iPhone and it was still complaining about WPA. Turned the phone's Wi-Fi off, then back on so it would reconnect to the current setting. Still complained about WPA even though it was no longer being used by the router. Finally, I shut the phone down completely, waited a few moments and powered it back up. The security message was finally gone.

Sep 17, 2020 12:25 PM in response to MarySimoniani

It tells you what to do. Your router is set to use WPA and WPA2. WEP (the oldest Wi-Fi security) was broken long ago. WPA replaced it and that too is no longer secure. iOS is letting you know your router is broadcasting an easily hacked wireless security protocol, and you should turn WPA (not WPA2) off.

From your Mac or Windows computer, go into your router's web setting pages. You should be able to do this from your iPhone, too, as long as you're within Wi-Fi range of your router. Typically, you put 192.168.0.1 into the URL search field. The router should prompt you for an admin name and password. If you don't know what those are, almost all newer routers have that info on a sticker, which is on the router itself.

Once in the settings pages, go to the wireless settings. You should be able to find a drop down menu for the security options. Change it to use WPA2 only, or WPA2/WPA3 if you have that option. Save the settings (the router may tell you it has to be restarted).

One possible downside. If you have much older devices that connect to the router that don't understand any security protocol newer than WPA, they'll no longer be able to talk to the router.

Sep 18, 2020 1:42 AM in response to Kurt Lang

This does appear to be a wider issue with ios14. I use Virgin Media hub 3.0 and have taken the same steps as described above (using WPA2 only), however still the message ‘weak security’ appears.

This message does not appear on previous devices in our house yet to upgrade to ios14.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nov 1, 2020 6:40 AM in response to ursula243

ursula243 wrote:

It is stopping me from accessing certain sites and apps. I cannot access facebook for example.

The weak security message is just a message. It will not prevent you from using a network with weak security. If you have a problem it is not because of the weak security warning, you need to troubleshoot the problem. See—>If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2020 7:20 AM in response to dante47

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now.

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security.

Nov 19, 2020 2:50 AM in response to MarySimoniani

I had the same problem. Apple recommends changing the security settings to WPA/WPA2 & AES. I logged on to my modem/router to check my settings and my security was ALREADY on WPA/WPA2 & AES which was the setting that Apple recommended here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068 to get rid of this “weak security” notification. THE RESOLUTION to this problem: Simply change the name of you router (instead of using the name it came with for example, linksys or netgear) by logging into your router settings (refer to your router’s user manual). After I changed the name of my router the notification went away.

Nov 19, 2020 4:04 AM in response to SJB_993

Since you have TP-Link you can access your settings here: http://tplinkwifi.net/webpages/login.html?t=1603185012713

Your password will be the same as your WiFi password. Go to wireless and under wireless settings you can change the name of your SSID there and save it. They also have an app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tp-link-tether/id599496594 that you can download and change your network’s name on there.

Nov 29, 2020 7:20 AM in response to TimeTicking

TimeTicking wrote:

We have 2 iPhones 1x 8 and 1x 11 both running iOS 14 and we have the weak security warning and wifi keeps dropping off them. My mini iPad is still running iOS 12.4 and is fine. My PlayStation connects fine too. I spent a torturous hour last night chatting to my broadband supplier who checked line etc to no avail! I’ve checked my wifi setting on router and they seem to be on correct security with a totally random mix of letters, numbers & characters for password. Logic tells me now, after reading this thread that it has to be the phones iOS ????

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. Note that “weak security" has NOTHING to do with your router password; it is a warning that the encryption protocol is something other than WPA2(AES) or WPA3, the ONLY secure encryption settings.

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security.

If you have a connectivity problem that is totally separate from the “weak security” message, which is just a warning that your router can be easily hacked. But the router will still work as it always has. You need to solve the connectivity problem independently of the weak security problem. Here is an Apple support article for Wi-Fi connectivity issues—>If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Dec 12, 2020 9:17 AM in response to mengsteab

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. Note that “weak security" has NOTHING to do with your router password; it is a warning that the encryption protocol is something other than WPA2(AES) or WPA3, the ONLY secure encryption settings.

Dec 19, 2020 6:55 AM in response to Liangsok

Liangsok wrote:

Help me pls I can’t do anything bcuz too slow🥺

That has nothing to do with weak security. It looks like your Wi-Fi connection is weak, which will slow it down. Try moving closer to the router. And not that it cannot be faster than your connection to the Internet.

Weak Security is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem with your router settings. It is just a warning, it won’t affect how well Wi-Fi works.

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

Feb 28, 2021 11:59 AM in response to Bahez12

This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem with your router settings.

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security settings. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

Note also that weak security does not interfere with using Wi-Fi, it is just a warning. Your Wi-Fi should still work normally, and, if it doesn’t, it is not because of the weak security message.

Mar 30, 2021 8:26 AM in response to Poporopo00

This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem with your router settings.

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security settings. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

After you change the router settings you should Forget the network in your phone settings and reconnect.

Note also that weak security does not interfere with using Wi-Fi, it is just a warning. Your Wi-Fi should still work normally, and, if it doesn’t, it is not because of the weak security message.

Weak Security WiFi on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.